file Chinese made fly rods

• Posts 4

bendle created: Chinese made fly rods

Has anyone had any used or had any experience with cheap Chinese made fly rods. Say $50 -$100 rods.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 112

Andrewa replied: Chinese made fly rods

Opening a can of worms here - wait and see!

I haven't used any.

A

• Posts 61

ANDREW replied: Chinese made fly rods

You will be better of with secondhand well know brand rod even if
it is an older model.
Seriously. You will enjoy more using it than some soulless graphite stick.

• Posts 4

bendle replied: Chinese made fly rods

I am not looking to buy a Chinese made rod as i have 5 very good fly rods. I have been fly fishing for 45yrs.I am curious as i know many rods sold in USA are made in China.

• Posts 497

mitch aka 2 fish replied: Chinese made fly rods

this is like throwing a can of worms grenade.

which firms?
let's belittle other people's gear... I'm happy to start with gloomis.

not all forums consist of 'which 5wt?' and 'what can I have for $200?' but they're very hard to find.

fly fishing for dummies.

• Posts 51

BarryJ replied: Chinese made fly rods

This thread really is a can of worms! Are the rods being built to a spec or a price? Does the brand owner have quality control procedures in place to ensure the spec is met etc? There is no reason why rods coming out of China can't be top quality.

For example, most (if not all) Apple products are made in China and many of us don't have an issue with that! Quality doesn't seem to be an issue in that instance!

• Posts 4

I guess from the reply,s i have had that no one has used or tried a cheap Chinese fly rod. My curiosity will continue
unless i spend $ 50 and find out for myself.

• Posts 497

mitch aka 2 fish replied: Chinese made fly rods

you should buy two to be sure to be sure.

not all forums consist of 'which 5wt?' and 'what can I have for $200?' but they're very hard to find.

fly fishing for dummies.

• Posts 10

Trevor Martin replied: Chinese made fly rods

There are some top quality rod makers over there U need to visit the premises to appreciate what they can do and make them to your highest $ spec.
Re the Q. A $50 rod might be OK - might be a noodle, but paramount is, if u break it, has a fault! what support have U here to fix it or replace snapped sections. My experience is most that buy $50 jobbies just throw them away after inquiring a fix is GUNNA be a more than the purchase. That is sad and wasteful. Personally I have only sold on one 2wt over 25 years after being threatened he wanted it BAD, U make a mental decision to buy, seriously its your fault only! Buying it firstly U must have got what U wanted. I have cheap and top end, maintain them they will do U well, if U can cast well U will make do. Something to note if U like a fast rod or slow rod U need to know the flex, ie Taking a $50 noodle to CI would be a nightmare if all week U uncounted high wind and can only shoot 20' into it [oh the pain]
Shop here if U can and ask what warranty backup comes with your parting of hard earned cash. :)

Certified False Casting Instructor.
FIGJAM Pro Staff.
Manager
HurleysFlyFishing Geelong est.2005

• Posts 4

Thank you for your replies.

You are not logged in.