Chinese made fly rods

[email protected] replied the topic: Chinese made fly rods

They're a lot better than they used to be.

I've reviewed Redington, Airflow and Rod&Fly rods made in China and been impressed with the lot given the cost. These examples are all around the $200 price point.
Are they as good as the top end US built stuff ? No, not really, but the distance that separates them has narrowed considerably over the last 10 years.

www.twigwater.com My fly fishing blog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DTs replied the topic: Chinese made fly rods

I use a Wildfish 6wt for casting practice. This rod cost me $180 and I think they were originally brought in by Morsie. It is a fast rod with lovely green blank, good hardware and made in China or somewhere else in Asia. As I remember a lot of the guys at Northern Suburbs FFC used them for casting practice on the pond.
It casts a great line and the only differences between that rod and say a high end $1200 American rod is the weight in the hand (heavier) a slight lack of feel in the tip and hardware quality.
I have fished with it once and it does the job well. I advise newcomers to the sport to get something like this and become proficient before they get all excited about top end rods (unless they can really afford them.)
My conclusion is that although the Wildfish is not a Sage, Winston or Scott, the high end rods are not 6 times better either. I suppose that all that R&D costs a lot!!!
Dave

"He knows not where he's going, for the river will decide,
It's not the DESTINATION, It's the glory of THE RIDE."
Zen Dog

darylallan replied the topic: Chinese made fly rods

Yes, my name is Daryl and I purchased a cheap Chinese fly rod. Before you judge me listen to my explanation.

I'm a teacher at a large public school and I want kids to get into flyfishing, advocating that they spend $300+ on a rod to get started was a bit much. I brought a $50 5wt fly rod to try it out, I didn't expect high quality but this thing was hopeless.

For the sake of the exercise I also strung up a couple of spinning and course angling rods. Yes I could cast a loop but it was hard work. I'd like to explore the possibility of using a higher quality graphite spinning rod as a fly rod. If a kid already had a graphite spinning rod then they would only need to buy a fly reel and line. But then again parents buy kids the latest iphones. I'd rather they had a crap phone and great fishing rod!!!

Wet replied the topic: Chinese made fly rods

DTs wrote: I use a Wildfish 6wt for casting practice. This rod cost me $180 and I think they were originally brought in by Morsie. It is a fast rod with lovely green blank, good hardware and made in China or somewhere else in Asia. As I remember a lot of the guys at Northern Suburbs FFC used them for casting practice on the pond.
It casts a great line and the only differences between that rod and say a high end $1200 American rod is the weight in the hand (heavier) a slight lack of feel in the tip and hardware quality.
I have fished with it once and it does the job well. I advise newcomers to the sport to get something like this and become proficient before they get all excited about top end rods (unless they can really afford them.)
My conclusion is that although the Wildfish is not a Sage, Winston or Scott, the high end rods are not 6 times better either. I suppose that all that R&D costs a lot!!!
Dave

Great rods at the price Dave, I have a couple for beginners and Millbrook have had them for awhile also for clients without gear. I'm not going to say that they're all good (chinese rods), just as, not every premium rod gets rave reviews. Value is in the eye of the beholder. My first creek rod was a 8' 4wt Shina (I think it was spelt) crap finish, great fishing rod, I sanded the blank and rebuilt it for my son, you'd think it was a premium rod now s:up

There are diamonds in the rough.

Cheers,
Andrew Connell
FFI Certified Casting Instructor

crooksy replied the topic: Chinese made fly rods

Hi Daryl,
Good for you to introduce flyfishing into your school,
cheaper options in fibreglass,you can pick up a cabellas cgr on sale often from america for less $100.
they are a great option at that price,i use fibreglass for my flyfishing ,much more relaxing than fast graphite

regards

You are not logged in.