file Brumbies in KNP

• Posts 18

turtsboy created: Brumbies in KNP

In other news NSW Gov want to backflip on the Kosciuszko wild horse management plan. If anyone has hiked through the long plain area and seen the damage that brumbies do to high country streams, this backflip is madness: www.canberratimes.com.au/environment/con...20180520-p4zggh.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 130

dynaflow replied: Brumbies in KNP

Re Kosciuszko,it's political correctness gone mad.Tell me what's good about turning one of our greatest national assets into a giant horse breeding ranch.

• Posts 35

Nog replied: Brumbies in KNP

Madness and good lobbists is what that is turtsboy

facebook/Brisbaneffc

• Posts 112

Peter Gibson replied: Brumbies in KNP

The idea proposed by the NSW government of giving feral horses "heritage" status in KNP is a disgrace. Such legislation will be almost impossible to unwind.

The damage is particularly noticeable in the northern part of the park, where small waterways and marshes are increasingly being trampled. Fragile stream banks and natural wet moss areas are being destroyed, leaving muddy bogs.

Over the past 50 years or so an enormous effort has been made to conserve and protect the park, but all this work will be undone if heritage status is given to these horses. It is a retrograde step that goes against past scientific advice.

Management of these horses is undeniably difficult but it’s time the government took a stand and met that challenge, instead of pandering to a noisy, self-interested minority of park users (mainly the hillbilly horse ride operators) who claim the horses have some special place in Australian folklore.

I emailed Luke Foley the leader of the opposition and Penny Sharpe the opposition shadow minister for the environment early today, urging them to stand up to the proposed bill.

• Posts 18

turtsboy replied: Brumbies in KNP

I completely agree, good work Peter. Perhaps a coordinated effort by fly fishers can help drown out the noise of the hillbillies who think that wild horses are part of Australia's heritage that need to be protected.

• Posts 1441

Moderator 3 replied: Brumbies in KNP

Posts moved from the "Why can't wilderness just be sacred..." thread at the request of the originator of that thread.

• Posts 134

Warnesy replied: Brumbies in KNP

Have to agree. Never seen so many horses as in the last couple of years. In my view the odd glimpse every few years was part of their mystique. Now they seem to be in plague proportions

• Posts 17

D Vader replied: Brumbies in KNP

WTF !!!!!!!!!! !!!
I'm not going to go into the damage these animals do its all to obvious ...but 'HERITAGE' listing to a bunch of FERAL horses is INSANE.....I cannot even fathom where that logic comes from.....FFS ...they may as well open up the whole park to cattle grazing and do a real job of it .... what an IMBECILE

• Posts 8

Daftwader replied: Brumbies in KNP

Your right Warnsey, the whole park is a bit like that now, they're everywhere.
If they get away with this, we should start lobbying to get Trout on the National Heritage list as well...makes just as much sense to me.  ;)

• Posts 20

KieranO replied: Brumbies in KNP

Of course this announcement has nothing to do with the NSW state election that is due in 2019;)
Just another form of re-election driven environmental vandalism that appeals to the uninformed urbanised masses.
The latest estimate by KNP management that there is up to 6000 feral horses within the park. I somehow doubt that any at any time in the past that there have been this many horses grazing unchecked in KNP.
Apparently, Victoria is due to release its Brumby management plan later this year. Will NSW be the only jurisdiction that is a signatory to the Australian Alps National Parks partnership that protects feral horses?

"I'd say fishing saves me from needing to be saved, sometimes just barely."
John Gierach

You are not logged in.