file A good quick read on Spot Burning

• Posts 49

Peter Elks created: A good quick read on Spot Burning

The link below is a good quick read on a flyfishers thoughts regarding being selective as to whom you share valuable spot info with.
troutbitten.com/2017/09/26/respect-spots...ndship-spot-burning/

Cheers...Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 814

mitch aka 2 fish replied: A good quick read on Spot Burning

and the first thing you see is a cabela's ad... nearly as ironic as a 'keeping secrets' article on the internet.
there's your circle of life, mate.

anyway, just rest easy in the fact that the next generation cannot do a damned thing without praying to a device.
the ones that do not I would be happy to find in 'my spot'.

spoiler: it'll never happen.

cheers,
shawn

what would daniel hackett do?

• Posts 79

Rabbit replied: A good quick read on Spot Burning

This is what happened with Mcknoes and now the Collie! LOL

• Posts 814

funnily enough both on your doorstep and your red-hot facebook feed, stan my man.

cheers,
shawn

• Posts 196

woody-wood replied: A good quick read on Spot Burning

If you don’t know where to fish, where to park the car, access and egress the river, ask online. When no one answers your question then accuse all for being secretive.

Then if the information is given freely online where thousands can view it, you too in a couple of years can say “it used to fish better than this before it became over popular”.

God forbid if one encourages them to scan google earth and go exploring to discover the wonders themselves. To enjoy thinking that this spot I’ve found through my efforts is special, if only to me.

The ones who did not devulge all are held up as just being selfish by protecting their special waters. Social media has made accessing information easier than any time in history. Sometimes it is nice to see a photo and wonder where it was taken without being told how to get there.

• Posts 194

dynaflow replied: A good quick read on Spot Burning

Post of the year so far mate...

• Posts 814

woody-wood wrote: If you don’t know where to fish, where to park the car, access and egress the river, ask online. When no one answers your question then accuse all for being secretive.

Then if the information is given freely online where thousands can view it, you too in a couple of years can say “it used to fish better than this before it became over popular”.

God forbid if one encourages them to scan google earth and go exploring to discover the wonders themselves. To enjoy thinking that this spot I’ve found through my efforts is special, if only to me.

The ones who did not devulge all are held up as just being selfish by protecting their special waters. Social media has made accessing information easier than any time in history. Sometimes it is nice to see a photo and wonder where it was taken without being told how to get there.

first it was maps with attention to the contours...
and then there was google earth... I remember we'd look at rivers, for the white, and then utter under our breaths "rapidoes". (wait awhile trout need the o2, you see)

and then we'd go look for it, locate it... and realise that the photo was taken during the winter.

cheers,
shawn

• Posts 48

chf replied: A good quick read on Spot Burning

Thought for a second this was going to be on how to protect ones shack from the oncoming fire!

I try not to worry too much about being selective with general information anymore ... everyones over in NZ or Tas anyway ...and I don't think there are many secrets anymore ( at least location secrets ) .I do find it a bit harder to talk specifics about the waters I love ...unless I recognise that someone similarly cares for them ... and maybe there are no shortcuts on some journeys.

And I'm starting to think most waters are more in need of the protection&care that comes from recognition rather than secrecy .

• Posts 49

Peter Elks replied: A good quick read on Spot Burning

What I read into parts of the article was its not so much about secrecy its more toward being selective as to whom one shares info with.
We most definitely need to protect and care for special places but in reality its only ever the ones that respect, that tend to make the time turn up at the battlefields.
I personally would prefer to have a half dozen genuine experienced and devoted individuals on board in order to accomplish a good outcome rather than 150 randoms.
I draw a close comparison between Surfers and Flyfishers in that those who grew up with some respect,consideration codes and protocol are a pleasure to share time with .

That being said I think established flyfishers and surfers whom are able to nurture new and genuine individuals represents the preferred pathway to securing quality representatives as we move forward in time, as its my viewpoint that quality beats quantity every time.

Cheers Pete

You are not logged in.