file BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

• Posts 13

big dave replied: BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

Interesting Cutch.
I used the Davy knot for a short while, but like you say, there was a proportion of knots that failed as I tied them, and I lost faith.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 274

Mitta replied: BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

jimmyellenberger wrote: . . . sure nice to see Grandpa Jim's favourite knot . . .

I wish, while growing up, I had a Grandpa Jim. I might have been availed of this decades back.

Oh, hang on! I think I do . . . . thanks Jimmy. ;) :)

Have been playing with this for a few days now and am liking it . . . very much.

Cheers,

M

The older I become, the better I used to be.
I recently started on the Gin & Tonic diet - so far, I have lost two three four days a full week. :-(

• Posts 274

Mitta replied: BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

Not dries but nymphs . . .

For what it is worth, I have, for some time now used a ‘Double Davy’ knot. In the past couple of years, I don’t recall it failing me. Today I had an experience which has made me think about the knot and other facets of my presentation. I’m not sure I am going to condemn the knot . . . yet, because there may be something else at work here. However, My ‘Double Davy’ failed on a big fish - the biggest I have been attached to with my #16 Czech nymphs and 10’ 0” 3wt nymphing rod.

I have been Czech nymphing for trout since the beginning of this season - I’m rather chuffed with the concept.

During the week, I had conversations with a member of the Australian Flyfishing Team. He was singing the praises and extolling the virtues of very, very light tippet (7X & 8X). For someone who would rarely go as small as 4X, this caught my attention and raised my eyebrows.

I sort of took his views onboard and today, I ventured out onto a river that is known to hold big fish with what I thought was a compromise - 6X tippet (0.127mm 4lb Fluorocarbon)

I got into a dog-fight with a 4lb plus trout. Not forcing it at all, I let it take an awful lot of line (best part of eighty feet) before it stationed itself in deep fast flowing water. It stayed there and I maintained what I thought was a reasonable pressure. After a few minutes of this, I resolved to assert myself a little more on the fish - as I did, the line came away from the nymph at the ‘Double Davy’ knot. “Bother!", I said.

Assessing the event, I’m unsure if it was the knot, the light tippet or my ham-fistedness in the angling.

Bottom line is yes, though I am not entirely convinced that the knot is not up to it, I now do have a question mark on it.

A subsequent 2.5lb fish gave a very good account, in the strong flowing river, but it was netted after a good period of ‘gentle’ angling on my part - might have said more than 'Bother’ had that one evaded my net. Clearly the knot, this time, held up.

I do like it, but my jury is still out on the ‘Double Davy’.

The older I become, the better I used to be.
I recently started on the Gin & Tonic diet - so far, I have lost two three four days a full week. :-(

• Posts 29

Action Man replied: BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

The one you can tie confidently and have confidence in at all times.

FWIW - I use a 5 turn blood knot.

• Posts 53

KO replied: BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

Action Man wrote: The one you can tie confidently and have confidence in at all times.

FWIW - I use a 5 turn blood knot.

Same. Same.

Let all waters merge into one.

• Posts 12

Bigpat replied: BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

Had an illuminating demonstration shown to me at a well known Vic fly shop, on knot strength.

Long story short, the more turns the better, as it stresses the tippet more evenly, and take the time to bed them them completely.

Having tried a few different knots, I only use 2 now anyway, for both line to line, and terminals.
These are the uni knot and blood knot, as I can do both by feel, without having to look, and quickly.
I might use up a bit more tippet, but its cheap enough....

• Posts 157

dynaflow replied: BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

I envy your talent.Many hate the Blood Knot as it's easy to get wrong...not so the Uni Knot (which I prefer)and more turns as the tippet gets smaller is the best tip I can offer.

• Posts 21

garygreene replied: BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

I thought everyone used a secure clinch knot (sometimes called improved clinch knot). Easy to tie and works fine for trout flies. I lose trout in all sorts of ways (some of which defy belief) but not usually due to the knot. Pun intended.

You are not logged in.