BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

big dave replied the topic: BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

Interesting Cutch.
I used the Davy knot for a short while, but like you say, there was a proportion of knots that failed as I tied them, and I lost faith.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mitta replied the topic: BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

jimmyellenberger wrote: . . . sure nice to see Grandpa Jim's favourite knot . . .

I wish, while growing up, I had a Grandpa Jim. I might have been availed of this decades back.

Oh, hang on! I think I do . . . . thanks Jimmy. ;) :)

Have been playing with this for a few days now and am liking it . . . very much.

Cheers,

M

The older I become, the better I used to be.

Mitta replied the topic: BEST KNOT FOR MONO TO SMALL DRY FLIES.

Not dries but nymphs . . .

For what it is worth, I have, for some time now used a ‘Double Davy’ knot. In the past couple of years, I don’t recall it failing me. Today I had an experience which has made me think about the knot and other facets of my presentation. I’m not sure I am going to condemn the knot . . . yet, because there may be something else at work here. However, My ‘Double Davy’ failed on a big fish - the biggest I have been attached to with my #16 Czech nymphs and 10’ 0” 3wt nymphing rod.

I have been Czech nymphing for trout since the beginning of this season - I’m rather chuffed with the concept.

During the week, I had conversations with a member of the Australian Flyfishing Team. He was singing the praises and extolling the virtues of very, very light tippet (7X & 8X). For someone who would rarely go as small as 4X, this caught my attention and raised my eyebrows.

I sort of took his views onboard and today, I ventured out onto a river that is known to hold big fish with what I thought was a compromise - 6X tippet (0.127mm 4lb Fluorocarbon)

I got into a dog-fight with a 4lb plus trout. Not forcing it at all, I let it take an awful lot of line (best part of eighty feet) before it stationed itself in deep fast flowing water. It stayed there and I maintained what I thought was a reasonable pressure. After a few minutes of this, I resolved to assert myself a little more on the fish - as I did, the line came away from the nymph at the ‘Double Davy’ knot. “Bother!", I said.

Assessing the event, I’m unsure if it was the knot, the light tippet or my ham-fistedness in the angling.

Bottom line is yes, though I am not entirely convinced that the knot is not up to it, I now do have a question mark on it.

A subsequent 2.5lb fish gave a very good account, in the strong flowing river, but it was netted after a good period of ‘gentle’ angling on my part - might have said more than 'Bother’ had that one evaded my net. Clearly the knot, this time, held up.

I do like it, but my jury is still out on the ‘Double Davy’.

The older I become, the better I used to be.

You are not logged in.