Fly selection for a team of wets

ANDREW replied the topic: Fly selection for a team of wets

My selection for top fly (five feet from fly line) would be somthing bushy fly like Claret Dabbler, Bibio Hopper or
Bumble Fly ( Big orange one worked for me well)
Middle Fly (five feet from top fly) would be either Brown Nymph, Butcher (English wet) or Carrot Wet Fly
which looks like orange nymph in fact.
Point fly (again five feet below middle fly) would be Beadhead Nymph, Shrek or Woolly Bugger
to anchor .
As for teaming them, I would try different combinations and see what works.
Probably would start with Bibio Hopper, Brown Nymph and Shrek first then change them if required.
Hope this helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

jimmyellenberger replied the topic: Fly selection for a team of wets

top fly- Bill Becks crystal nymph or a dunny brush
middle fly- I have had lots of takes using a damsel fly nymph which just seems to come up out of the weeds nicely in that position
bottom fly- heaps of choices here... mix it up
And a double hander to stop the whole lot collapsing on the back cast in the wind. Tight lines.. seriously tight. Cheers...Jimmy

mrampant replied the topic: Fly selection for a team of wets

I have found that if you know the waters that you are fishing it will help a lot on choice. Does a orange type fly fish more effective than yellow, or purple? I use this info for the point/ bottom fly. Eg. a fur fly with orange in it is good at Arthurs Lake but one with purple at Penstock is a better choice from my experience. The top two flies are as suggested; emerger and nymph stage patterns. I have used these in wet formations with success on wet lines as well. Generally I try to keep the middle fly flashy/ attractor.
Try to do homework on the water you fish as to successful fly type/colour, just to give you an edge.
Cheers,
Mark

He who shall not be able to make a trout fly , after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient in either brains or manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

VXP replied the topic: Fly selection for a team of wets

Great Mark.
Thanks for that those colours for Penstock and Arthurs.
Do you have any other Tassie lake specific colours to offer or sources to recommend or sources for homework on lake specific colours?
I recently had six takes at Toomes on a black and gold (humungous) woolly bugger fished in a team of three at both point and middle. I had no takes at all on black and red or olive. I didn't get to try the black and gold at top dropper but would have been interested to see what the next take was on.

You are not logged in.