Fly selection for a team of wets

VXP created the topic: Fly selection for a team of wets

Can anyone please explain the principals of selecting flies or just recommend your favourite combinations for a team of three wets for the early season?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

pippafish replied the topic: Fly selection for a team of wets

I'm no expert but from a few masterclasses at Ballarat FFC with Royce Baxter, some of the general principles re a team of 3 flies:
- top dropper is a bushy fly that makes a wake and moves water eg: bibio, index fly
- middle dropper is an attractor (eg: Alexander, Dunkeld) or other imitative , damsel nymph, mudeye
- bottom/point fly is a heavier fly, often bead head, to anchor the set-up: Magoo, Woolly Bugger

Will vary somewhat depending upon if you're fishing wets or dries. Have a mix of colors and some complimentary. Can use a level leader, especially when on a drift and wind is behind which will turn the leader over. Droppers at least 1m apart, not too close. Use fluorocarbon for wets due to better sink.

Recent publication "Australias Best Trout Flies Revisited" (can buy online here I think) features plenty of contributors who fish loch style quite a lot in competition. Read what they say. Also Neil Grose's book on Fly Fishing Lakes (also here I think) covers loch style. Also, search the online articles here as I'd saved a Neil Grose article "Loch Style Solutions" which I think was on Flylife.

Tight lines!

flylife replied the topic: Fly selection for a team of wets

Yes for loch style the convention is bob, flash and anchor for top water (floating line) applications, but there are endless variations for intermediate and sinking lines.

VXP replied the topic: Fly selection for a team of wets

It would would be great to hear some of the more common intermediate and sinking variations as well as some actual floating line combinations using wooly bugger, zonker/cat type flies rather than the traditional loch style wets. Thanks

Thanks pippafish- thats a really informative reply. Just what I was after

ANDREW replied the topic: Fly selection for a team of wets

Firstly I will admit that I'm big fan of loch style three fly setup.
Using three flies combo of woolly bugger, zonker and fur fly does not
make any sense to me unless you going to troll with them.
Casting two or three big wet flies would be a nightmare.
Loch style works because flies are not that big and its mainly short roll casts
that are only required.
Should try using loch style flies, I think you will like it.

Thanks for that.
Can you recommend some early season teams for when there is no visible feeding activity or insect life?

mitch aka 2 fish replied the topic: Fly selection for a team of wets

fish three nymph stages in the different water columns.
you know... if you must.

and hum 'tangled up in blue' whilst doing so.

cheers,
shawn

not all forums consist of 'which 5wt?' and 'what can I have for $200?' but they're very hard to find.

fly fishing for dummies.

jimmyellenberger replied the topic: Fly selection for a team of wets

May I suggest starting with a 2 fly set up with a buggerish thing on the point and a soft hackle, nymph or stick caddis on the dropper. If you can deal with that comfortably in the wind then by all means go ahead and try a trio. Just be prepared to spend a bit of time looking a birds nests in your lap. If you are a chronic tailing loop maestro you will also spend lot of time doing the same thing. If you must try it then open up your loops for heavens sakes. Jolly good luck to you. Cheers...jimmy

Appreciate the tailing loop comments and needing the lyrics to "tangled up in blue" handy-my very first fly fishing many moons ago was loch style in Scotland with three droppers in howling winds and it was a baptism of fire indeed. Pippafish mentioned "Australias Best Trout Flies Revisited" and many of the comp guys that have contributed seem to mention they like to fish their "Shrek" or "Humungous" bugger flies on...fill in the blank-bob, middle or point in teams of three. What they mostly don't detail is which flies they team them with on the other droppers. I was just wondering....

You are not logged in.