Bow and Arrow casting

Barnopoulos replied the topic: Bow and Arrow casting

Good to get some other perspectives on this topic. I've just got back from a few days fishing the streams around Corryong NE Vic. and I should have read these comments before I was there.
On many occasions the b&a cast should have been the cast of choice but I backed off and roll cast etc, still using the 2 wt with replacement broken section. Should have just got on with it, as the rod was virtually new, and pulled back and flicked. Apart from cane maybe, a rod should not be that precious.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

freestone replied the topic: Bow and Arrow casting

Interesting reading this thread just now. I have just recently done some pretty basic forensic analysis on a rod my brother broke just below the ferrule join (2 piece carbon fibre rod) when placed under pressure fighting a fiesty rainbow. As it turned out the rod appears to have been built using the old and now inferior process involving standard scrim core. The caliper measurements of the blank’s cross section just below the break in the blank revealed some pretty serious “ovaling” i.e. serious compression of the circular rod blank cross section to the extent where the rod blank was still oval shaped after the break. Indicating the catastrophic failure of the blank when under load was most likely caused by the ovaling deformation of the blank, and thus breaking at the weakest point just below the ferrule join. Sounds familiar eh? So it is possible that the reason for the failure of Barnopolous’s rod whilst under load during the bow and arrow cast might very well have been caused by the manufacturing process, most likely involving standard scrim core. If it was, then chances are it will break again when under load! IMHO the underlying reason for the rods failure is not so much a question of it being a carbon fibre rod, but the process used in building the blank. This is one of the reasons why switched on blank manufacturers like CTS in Aukland use high strength carbon helix cores that will not deform when under load. Sure they might break when under load if they have been “clousered” or fractured when mistreated, but if such a rod has not been mistreated as such, it should not break when under load. The rod building technolgy section on CTS’s web site is well worth a read.......

freestone
AKA fingers

kenwstr replied the topic: Bow and Arrow casting

I've been bow and arrow casting with the same graphite rod for more than 20 years no problem at all. It's the direction of the pull that snaps rods. Don't pull the line back toward the rod butt. Instead keep the rod butt and line separated so the line is about parallel with the handle, not pulled back to it.

To make a good cast, like all casts, only load the rod just enough to to turn over the leader and no more. Excessive loading only leads to the fly bouncing back toward you.

If you want to make a 30ft case, take about a rod length of line out the rod tip so you hold the line/leader joint. The rest of the leader and tippet can be arranged on a surface from which it can launch without catching or tangling. This might be your wader leg, a poncho or wet weather jacket etc. So you now have a length of line in the rod (9 ft) a length out (9ft) leader (10ft) tippet (2ft) = 30 ft. If you load the rod correctly this will all lay out nice a straight with the fly 30 ft from you. You can alternatively hold the leader and tippet in loops but this takes a bit more care to not tangle.

Ken

You are not logged in.