file One week fishing Jurasic Lake or 13 weeks fishing the Turangi Area?

• Serendipity Casting
  • Serendipity Casting's Avatar Topic Author
  • Posts 5

Serendipity Casting created: One week fishing Jurasic Lake or 13 weeks fishing the Turangi Area?

Hi
I have recently retired and I have established an annual travel fishing budget. I would be interested to read comments from anyone who has fished both Jurasic Lake (Lago Strobel and Rio Barrancoso ) and the Turangi area. I regularly visit and fish the Turangi area - I have access in NZ to a vehicle and a 4.2 mtr boat suitable for fishing Lake O and other similar waters. I am considering fishing Jurasic Lake. My question is a somewhat crude economic comparison - for the cost of one week fishing at Jurasic lake (air fares, lodge fees etc) I could pay for accommodation and fish in the Turangi area for approximately 13 weeks. Is one week catching very large fish in Juarasic Lake worth the cost of 13 weeks fishing the Turangi area?

Plus , any general comments regarding Jurasic lake fishing would be very welcome (e.g. general wading conditions, lodge accommodation, travel issues etc)

Regards
Serendipity Casting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 497

mitch aka 2 fish replied: One week fishing Jurasic Lake or 13 weeks fishing the Turangi Area?

no brainer. see what you've not seen before.

you only get one go, mate.

cheers,
shawn

not all forums consist of 'which 5wt?' and 'what can I have for $200?' but they're very hard to find.

fly fishing for dummies.

• Posts 402

flylife replied: One week fishing Jurasic Lake or 13 weeks fishing the Turangi Area?

Can I take the 13 weeks in Turangi please.

• Posts 90

troutboynz replied: One week fishing Jurasic Lake or 13 weeks fishing the Turangi Area?

Otamangakau is essentially a small version of Jurasic! I'd go with Turangi... have spent 30 years fishing the area and it's always full of surprises, usually great weather and it's just a wicked experience with SOOO many options. There's always the Tekapo canals if you want to catch 20lb+ trout with regularity and at a fraction of the cost and travel of Jurasic... Oh what a quandary you have?!! :)

"TroutboyNZ" (Andrew Harding)... Look me up on Youtube!

• Posts 97

woody-wood replied: One week fishing Jurasic Lake or 13 weeks fishing the Turangi Area?

Tekapo channels in a howling North Westerly and get your mates to only speak Spanish. Problem solved.

Seriously Jurassic Lake would have to be done at least once, if only to say to your mates over a beer, “Yeah done that do you want to see the photos”.
It’s on my bucket list

• Serendipity Casting
  • Posts 5

Serendipity Casting replied: One week fishing Jurasic Lake or 13 weeks fishing the Turangi Area?

Hi
Thanks Andrew, Shawn and Woody-Wood. Also thanks for the other replies and suggestions.

After considerable thought and a bit more research I have decided to do Both! i.e
(a) continue fishing the Turangi area each year for about 13 weeks each year (I split this with a few weeks in Summer, a few weeks in Autumn and a few weeks in Late Spring)- all catch and release (Per Andrew a lot of options, normally good fishing - makes fishing at home seem a bit tame). Good value in Turangi - only a few days left until the next trip ; and
(b) set up a separate budget (might have to work part of the year for this) and pay for a One only trip to Jurassic Lake, probably Nov 2019. Per Shawn and Woody - Wood- On the Bucket list and you only get one go (looking in the mirror seems to reinforce this)

Regards

Serendipity Casting

• Posts 90

troutboynz replied: One week fishing Jurasic Lake or 13 weeks fishing the Turangi Area?

Sounds like a plan!! Nick Reygaert (gin-clear.com) runs a few trips to Jurassic each year hosting and guiding and he has it pretty well dialed in, you could do worse than to touch base with him, hell of a nice guy and pretty handy on a camera...! Email is: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

"TroutboyNZ" (Andrew Harding)... Look me up on Youtube!

• Serendipity Casting
  • Posts 5

Serendipity Casting replied: One week fishing Jurasic Lake or 13 weeks fishing the Turangi Area?

Hi Andrew

Thanks - I will send him an email for general information and cost comparison.

Regards

Serendipity Casting

You are not logged in.