Great Lake area - Mid December - please help!

Tommy created the topic: Great Lake area - Mid December - please help!

Hi all,

Am heading down to Tassie from the 18th of December for a week. Will be close to Great Lake, Little Pine etc.

This will be my third trip, but my first where I can dedicate 5-6 days of solid fly fishing! Cant wait!
Previous trips have included half day fishing trips here and there and to be honest, I've struggled!

Can anyone offer any advice:

- should I focus on fishing the lakes, if so, little pine seems to be my favorite. (Or do the rivers fare better?)
- what essential flies do I need to have at this time of year?
-do the lakes fish well at night time?

Any other advice greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cullen replied the topic: Great Lake area - Mid December - please help!

Tommy the lakes will be fishing at there best by mid December
Penstock lagoon has fished better than Little pine the last few seasons
Best flies for Penstock are shaving brush and orange spinner At little pine you will need a black spinner
It may worth getting out to the nineteen lagoons and have a look at Lake kay or double lagoon where the black spinner is a top fly. I can't help with night fishing , fishing at Penstock or Little pine on dark is just average i know alot of people fish great lake on dark with a big dry and get fish but i have never done it

flylife replied the topic: Great Lake area - Mid December - please help!

Prime time for the Pine so give it a go if you get a light wind day. Penstock if it cuts up cold and rough. Nineteen lagoons if you get a blue sky day. Good night fishing down on Great Lake if you get a warm evening.
Prime time for mayflies so take duns, spinners, nymphs. Para spinners, CDC duns and ostrich herl and Bill Beck nymphs. Local fly shops will know what flies you'll need.
It's a good time cos week before Christmas tends to be quiet with not many anglers about.

jimmyellenberger replied the topic: Great Lake area - Mid December - please help!

Tommy I'd be giving the rivers a go as well, at least one day. There are a couple very good options within 45 minutes from up top. They are going to be in top condition this year with all the snow we have had. The Liffey is a small water. The Meander about middle size with some nice freestone characteristics.... Both have good access. The list goes on. Hope you have a good visit. My tip for Penstock and Little pine would be a good size Stick caddis on the dropper. Cheers...Jimmy

Tommy replied the topic: Great Lake area - Mid December - please help!

Cullen, flylife and Jimmy....

Many thanks for your advice. I'll start tying a few flies between now and December!
I haven't had the chance to fish Penstock , 19 Lagoons or any of the rivers around the area, so am looking forward to exploring the region!
2 years ago i fished little pine for half a day, managed to sight a lot of fish, spooked most and landed 1. A few other guys had landed (and released) a number of large fish, but i was unable to persuade any info from them! Not sure if landing 5-7 large fish is the norm for little pine?

My time is spent mostly around eucumbene and jindabyne, where night time fishing seems to be my most productive method, so will try this at great lake as well.

Chief replied the topic: Great Lake area - Mid December - please help!

"Not sure if landing 5-7 large fish is the norm for little pine?" yep over about 20 years - still to get one there :whatever

Chief

Thanks Chief...reading between the lines I can say... I am so looking forward to this trip!

Action Man replied the topic: Great Lake area - Mid December - please help!

If you get a really windy blue sky day, go for a walk along the wind blown shore of Great Lake and keep an eye out for fish. Chuck a big dry at them and wait. Its great fun.

Thanks very much action man! I'll get busy tying a few wets! Spent a couple of hours at great lake last visit. Saw a few fish just out of my casting range - one was an absolute beast of fish!

flylife replied the topic: Great Lake area - Mid December - please help!

Make a plan for the day and stick to it...
Biggest problem I see is visitors thinking they should be somewhere else whenever things are quiet and spend all their time in the car driving between Pine, Ada, Penstock, Great Lake etc etc. The Pine in particular deserves at least a 10 til 3 stay as the hatch/wind/sun can be unpredictable. Blind fish a couple of nymphs if it is quiet.
St Clair Lagoon also highly recommended for a day trip BTW.

You are not logged in.