file Flies for breast cancer fishing clinic

• Posts 112

Peter Gibson created: Flies for breast cancer fishing clinic

Last year, volunteers from New England Trout Acclimatisation Society, NSW DPI – Fisheries and cancer support group YWCA NSW Encore organised a free fly fishing day at Dutton Trout Hatchery in Ebor in northern NSW for women who had experienced breast cancer. The motion of fly casting is similar to the physiotherapy often required for the healing process. The event was an introductory fly fishing day in which women received lessons from expert fly fishers, shared experiences, and caught a trout.

The event was a huge success and is being repeated later this year (in November).

I’m trying to organise a bit of fly tying so that this year each woman gets a box full of useful flies to take home.

There are just 14 women in the program, so we only need 14 sets of flies, but the more flies in each set the better. I’m wondering if a few Forum members could tie a set of 14 flies, all the same pattern, so that we can make up identical boxes for each woman.

They don’t need to be anything fancy, just practical, everyday flies. To kick things off I’ll tie 14 Tups Indispensables.

NSW DPI – Fisheries have offered to supply fly boxes if we can supply the flies.

If you can help out please let me know, and post your 14 flies to Peter Gibson, PO Box 537, Paddington, NSW 2021.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 21

GavinH23 replied: Flies for breast cancer fishing clinic

When do you need them by Peter ?, 14 Red Tags be ok

• Posts 19

Ewingii replied: Flies for breast cancer fishing clinic

Happy to help out Peter, will get some off to you in the next couple of weeks :)

Cheers Pete

• Posts 121

jimmyellenberger replied: Flies for breast cancer fishing clinic

I am in 100% with 14 Hoppers. I have lost far too many girlfriends already and will do anything to ease, even slightly, another ones fears or trepidation. Thank you Peter for the opportunity. Jimmy E

• Posts 112

Peter Gibson replied: Flies for breast cancer fishing clinic

That would be fantastic guys...great start. Not urgent...the session is in November so we have months to collect them. Doesn't matter if someone wants to tie the same as someone else...two or more of the same type in the box would be normal.

• Posts 8

Joebagger replied: Flies for breast cancer fishing clinic

I can knock up 14 or so 'green machines' if you like Peter. What an exemplary thing you are doing for these ladies; keep up the good work.

• Posts 121

jimmyellenberger replied: Flies for breast cancer fishing clinic

At last nights meeting of the Fly Fishers Club of Tasmania, I was handed 14 black spinners and 14 spectacular red spinners by Gary Cullen with instructions to pass them on to you Peter. They will arrive at your doorstep as soon as I can complete my offerings to accompany them. Regards...Jimmy

• Posts 112

Peter Gibson replied: Flies for breast cancer fishing clinic

That would be fantastic thanks

• Posts 52

Rabbit replied: Flies for breast cancer fishing clinic

Peter I will do some for you as well. What type of flies would be suitable for where you are doing this in November?

Cheers

• Posts 15

garygreene replied: Flies for breast cancer fishing clinic

Great idea. Can't resist jumping in.
I'll tie up some hairwing coachman. I reckon they are a great starting out pattern as they're easy to see on the water.

Gaz

You are not logged in.