Flies & Fly Tying Winter approaches

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

micmac3701
    Participant

IMG_0813
    My version of a Milly Midge as my thoughts turn to Winter stillwater fishing.

micmac3701
    Participant

IMG_0736-2
    Going to have a more serious crack at still-water midge feeders this Winter.

Haveweimwillhunt
    Participant

And likewise

How do you plan to fish them?  I have heard to sit the midge a foot under an indicator – something like the griffith gnat – then pretty much let the action of the waves do their thing

Seems to me like a boring way to fly fish, but if it works, then I will give it a go

micmac3701
    Participant

Yep varying depths as fish feed through the water column. Guess the challenge is in figuring out the puzzle and well in Winter…. Had some limited success with fish feeding close to the surface with a very short dropper so decided to make it a bit of a mission this Winter.

Chironomidae are a big part of the diet of still-water fish I’m told so I guess its worth some time.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Ahhh winter fishing. Short days, snowstorms, whiskey. Hard earned fish and legendary victories. Golden coloured light coming in low across crystaline water. When only the best of friends will take on the mission and understand why. One of the most under rated styles of fishing around.

Do it.

Dont worry about the fish too much… its better like that and it is how it is meant to be.

J

micmac3701
    Participant

5ec9a4a16f882
    The midge mission box is slowly filling with cunning plans, fervent prayers and strange ideas.

micmac3701
    Participant

IMG_0843
    Biot Midge.

About as durable as a politicians election promise.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

I really hope you stick to your guns on this thread. I am loving that mission box and all its innovations. We could all do with more flies with names like ” the election Promise”

super keen to hear the reports on the further adventures afield.

Please… press on …  Jimmy

micmac3701
    Participant

Okay so now the rivers are closed. Winter is upon us.

Cunning plans have been developed to implementation stage…..

Just waiting for the real cold to arrive and for a few more browns to drop back after early spawn ravenously seeking out helpless suspended midge larvae…..

Mitta
    Blocked

. . . waiting . . . (waiting) for a few more browns to drop back after early spawn ravenously seeking out helpless suspended midge larvae . . .

You are such a ‘romantic’ micmac – you should write novels. The Barbara Cartland of flyfishing for trout.

Am I showing my age?

An outmoded Mitta

micmac3701
    Participant

“romantic” hmmm well maybe I guess though I prefer to think of it as rampart optimism, banking motivational thoughts for those long, cold, quiet hours stalking by inscrutable still-waters.  My wife has a more colourful, and less faltering, description that calls my mental state into question so i think I can live with romantic.

As to Barb Cartland

(yep I googled her) errr…. Well I guess I could give it a crack.

“The strapping young Mitta set the hook with an arrogant indifference. His chiseled features softened in a smile as the rod bowed and the reel sang. His gentle yet powerful hands gripped the pulsing rod as the maiden rainbow writhed and thrashed in an ecstatic desire for freedom……”

Not sure, I could keep that up for a whole book and I kinda doubt there is a market for it (if there is I prefer not to know).

Phoenix Bird
    Participant

Michael,that is gold,nearly spilled my coffee on the keyboard laughing.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Classic… A literary gem.

Nice, good effort… nothing like a well thrown gauntlet.

Cheers  J

Nog
    Participant

“The strapping young Mitta set the hook with an arrogant indifference”

Can we have this as the 2021 Gathering logo please?

Mitta
    Blocked

. . . Mitta . . . with an arrogant indifference. . . .  (held) an ecstatic desire . . .

Hmm! Yes, I remember having one of those . . . once.  It has been a while.

A not so young and with less than chiselled looks, Mitta

Good work Michael; you may have well missed your vocation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.