Flies & Fly Tying Winter approaches

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

micmac3701
    Participant

IMG_0813
    My version of a Milly Midge as my thoughts turn to Winter stillwater fishing.

Attachments:

micmac3701
    Participant

IMG_0736-2
    Going to have a more serious crack at still-water midge feeders this Winter.

Attachments:

Haveweimwillhunt
    Participant

And likewise

How do you plan to fish them?  I have heard to sit the midge a foot under an indicator – something like the griffith gnat – then pretty much let the action of the waves do their thing

Seems to me like a boring way to fly fish, but if it works, then I will give it a go

micmac3701
    Participant

Yep varying depths as fish feed through the water column. Guess the challenge is in figuring out the puzzle and well in Winter…. Had some limited success with fish feeding close to the surface with a very short dropper so decided to make it a bit of a mission this Winter.

Chironomidae are a big part of the diet of still-water fish I’m told so I guess its worth some time.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Ahhh winter fishing. Short days, snowstorms, whiskey. Hard earned fish and legendary victories. Golden coloured light coming in low across crystaline water. When only the best of friends will take on the mission and understand why. One of the most under rated styles of fishing around.

Do it.

Dont worry about the fish too much… its better like that and it is how it is meant to be.

J

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.