Flies & Fly Tying Wigram’s Robin and the Alexandra

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

DrGraham
    Participant

Interesting observation Mark.  Mine is the opposite.  I can produce most of my favourite traditional wet and dry flies quicker than a modern pattern, usually about 5-7 minutes, but then I’m more familiar with traditional materials.

ronb
    Participant

Swapping out the hen hackle for black rabbit zonka is a good idea, certainly makes a nice looking fly that’s a bit simpler to tie and with more movement in the water. Mrs Simpson’s (another favourite) with a marabou or rabbit fur tail is another great idea. I had tried it on patterns like fuzzy wuzzy and Tom Jones but the proportions didn’t look right to me but I think it would be great on a Mrs Simpson. The Watsons Fancy is another great looking fly that is high on my list to retry. There is a Muz Wilson pattern that is a re-invention of a Matuka, it has a chenille dubbed with fuzzle dub body that was only brushed out on top to make it look like a matuka. This idea would certainly work with the Robin. I used to have a lot of luck river fishing with a winged wet green wells but over time got replaced with a pot scrubber nymph which worked just as well and was probably more versatile. Small spider patterns still work great today as they always have. A fly box full of traditional fly patterns seem to look better, at least to me, than a lot of the modern patterns, even if they may not fish as well as them. I might tie up a bunch of traditional patterns to try when the season opens, it might be a lot of fun. Cane and fibreglass have had an increase in popularity the last few years, perhaps traditional fly patterns will also. Just had a look at the Robin pictured in ‘Fur and Feather’, it certainly is a very nice looking fly.

Bradys Lake
    Participant

The Alexandra worked very well at Lake Sorell as a dropper in front of a larger matuka type fur fly, it’s also a very good fly at Penstock. The peacock Sword feather herls ( not eye feather herls) of which the Alexandra wing is tied is a very effective and surprisingly robust material when tied in as a bunch, In my view no synthetic can equel it, it’s very good as a topping on matuka/ Yeti type fur flies as well. The first trout I caught on fly was landed on a Alexandra variation, basically a small wet with a wing of peacock Sword feather and a body of peacock herl, this fly we called the Damsel, it is very effective in the lower Derwent storages and also the once great Ouse and Clyde Rivers.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.