Flies & Fly Tying What are you tying?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Mitta
    Participant

. . .  what would be . . . a starting point . . .  (without becoming an Edwin Rist type feather thief!

I heard a rumour which would cause me to think you’re talking to the wrong bloke *taps nose* 😉 😂 😂

Whistleblower Mitta

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

Those salmon flies are wonderful.

If I wanted to have a crack at making fully dressed Salmon flies, and god knows where that may take me, what would be some recommendations for a starting point and reference materials (without becoming an Edwin Rist type feather thief!

cheers

Barney

I’d look at the ranger series of flies and sub the cotinga and indian crow with kingfisher and w.h.y. respectively.

that’s if they even call for it.

the rangers can be a stepping stone to others more difficult.

and they fish well.

cheers,

shawn

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

whereas these do not…

evening star 5/0 ds

might burn out for a little while now,

cheers,

shawn

Chris Beech
    Participant

From one end of the spectrum to the other – Clouser Deep Minnows are on the menu today.

Andrewa
    Participant

Barney, tying salmon flies is seriously OCD – do you really need that in life?!  I had a run tying them 30yrs ago, albeit nowhere near as well as Mitch, but my biggest problem was finding the plumage.

Back in those days, I’d taken my flytying kit with me on a “romantic” weekend to the Otway with my wife, as one does ( and I still wonder why she is surprised that I like fly fishing/tying!) , and was tying a salmon fly that needed small red feathers, but I didn’t have any with me. I was lamenting this fact to my wife, and suddenly there was a “bang” on the window of our accomodation, and I saw  a Rosella shaking itself back to consciousness on the ground outside, leaving behind a small pile of red feathers! A message from somewhere .

Andrew

Barnopoulos
    Participant

Thanks Shawn for your advice and Andrew with your cautionary tale.

Further down the track I’ll see if I can post a pic of my efforts.

cheers

Barney.

micmac3701
    Participant

Autumn is truly here so the orange tungsten beads are getting a top up for the coming weeks.

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

att: barney

absolutely f.a. now…

once were gitana,

swearing

Attachments:

mrampant
    Participant

Does that bin also include the Macaw??

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

yes. it’s binned to its original recipe…

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.