Classifieds WATERWORKS LAMSON LIQUID REEL – ADVICE SOUGHT

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

JamesJones
    Participant

I have been using Lamson reels for years including the ULA Force series which I think is the peak reel .

I have since bought two black Lamsom Liquid reels – a 2 and a 3.5,purchased new. I have had them for 2 years.

The reel and spool I understand are ‘made from pressure cast aluminum and the case and spool have a polyurethane finish.’

The black finish is coming off the 3.5 – it looks messy.

I thought they were die cast and did not know they were painted.

If I buy additional spools say in the aluminium, does anyone know if they are solid cast and will not degrade like the black finish. Or are they varnished aka polyurethane?

Or are they just cheap reels and you get what you pay for?

dynaflow
    Participant

Pressure die casting is a high production (read efficient) method and while the Liquid and Remix spools are interchangable,Lamson claims Type 2 anodising on these polyurethane coated spools.From what I can gather you can’t buy a more robust spool for these reels.Happy to stand corrected….and as you say “you do get what you pay for”.

BarryJ
    Participant

I have been using Lamson reels for years including the ULA Force series which I think is the peak reel .

I have since bought two black Lamsom Liquid reels – a 2 and a 3.5,purchased new. I have had them for 2 years.

The reel and spool I understand are ‘made from pressure cast aluminum and the case and spool have a polyurethane finish.’

The black finish is coming off the 3.5 – it looks messy.

I thought they were die cast and did not know they were painted.

If I buy additional spools say in the aluminium, does anyone know if they are solid cast and will not degrade like the black finish. Or are they varnished aka polyurethane?

Or are they just cheap reels and you get what you pay for?

Die-casting is the process used to manufacture the reels; it has nothing to do with colour coating etc. Molten metal is forced (cast) under pressure into a mould (or die) and solidified. The die-cast components are just the bare metallic silver-grey colour and require either painting or anodising (in the case of aluminium components) to get any other colours.

ANDREW
    Participant

Warrenty, get them replaced under warrenty.

Cheaper Lamson reels like Remix and Liquid are made in Asia then put together in USA with Made in USA label. Lamson Konic was done the same way years ago.

Nothing wrong with reels made in Asia, they all do it, Sage, Loop, Hardy, Orvis, Vision etc.

Chris Beech
    Participant

I wouldn’t have thought fair wear and tear would be covered under warranty… Just a case of “you get what you pay for”.

RS3100
    Participant

https://flylife.com.au/forum/topic/chinese-fly-reels

Not much has changed in the ensuing time – except Chinese manufacturing has got better and the big names are all now there for their lower priced items.

Plenty of good reels at cheaper prices about if you look.

dynaflow
    Participant

Yes,and the blatant theft of intellectual property continues unabated.We feed it by buying the product.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.