Flies & Fly Tying UV resin and torch … What’s good starting out

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Rowboat
    Participant

Hi, just making some buzzers and I don’t have any UV finish resin yet, So, thought I might ask the expert community before I buy some …. what would you recommend (without busting the budget). I was looking at a Hareline torch and the Solarez 5g tubes as a three pack or on the other hand the Solarez roadie kit including their torch. Is the Solarez in a bottle better or more manageable than the tubes. There’s also the “bone dry” formula. Is that a useful bit of kit starting out. What do you think for a starter. Rob

oldpiscator
    Participant

I use the 5gm tube Solarez thin hard formula for my buzzers.

Rowboat
    Participant

Thanks “oldpiscator”. Re the tube(grams) or bottle (oz). Are they the same? And, are most of the torches available good enough to do the job or do you have a preference?

oldpiscator
    Participant

Tube and bottle are the same . you only use a tiny bit of resin on buzzers so a tube last ages. I use a Loon torch.

Chris Beech
    Participant

Solarez Roadie kit and get a bottle of Ultra Thin Bone Dry is the best I’ve used so far.

Rowboat
    Participant

Thanks Chris. Do you like the brush applicator or the ultra fine tip in the Ultra Thin Bone Dry

Chris Beech
    Participant

Thanks Chris. Do you like the brush applicator or the ultra fine tip in the Ultra Thin Bone Dry

I use the brush that comes with the ultra thin bone dry. I’m not aware of an ultra fine tip? There’s a set of tips you can buy for the larger bottles but the Roadie kits come with tips

Rowboat
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll probably go with the brush, but below is the fine tip one.

I found this.<mark></mark>
    <h5 id=”title” class=”a-size-large a-spacing-none”><mark>SOLAREZ Ultra Thin Bone-Dry Plus Clear UV Cure Fly Tie Resin (.5oz) w/Ultra Fine Applicator Tip (Included)</mark></h5>

Chris Beech
    Participant

I haven’t tried the Bone Dry Plus yet, but that looks similar to the Roadie bottles and tips.

Make sure you are well ventilated when using Solarez – it can give off an odour as it hardens which can irritate some people.

dynaflow
    Participant

What Chris Beech said…the Solarez torch is a worthwhile investment that’s streets ahead of some of the rubbish torches from Fleabay.I use rechargeable GIF brand Li-ion 9800mAh TR18650 3.7v batteries,available from the above mentioned site.

Rowboat
    Participant

Thanks Dynaflow. The “roadie” resin tubes and the torch as a package will suit I think, However I’d be very suspicious of a 18650 cell that states 9800mAh. That’s impossible even with today’s modern technology in a cell of this size. Cheers, and thanks for your input.

Chris Beech
    Participant

Thanks Dynaflow. The “roadie” resin tubes and the torch as a package will suit I think, However I’d be very suspicious of a 18650 cell that states 9800mAh. That’s impossible even with today’s modern technology in a cell of this size. Cheers, and thanks for your input.

I’m sure he meant to type 6800mAh

Rowboat
    Participant

Thanks Chris. I’ve seen the batteries Dynaflow mentioned and they exist. but those batteries have been shown to have an actual capacity of only about 500mA. The best batteries of this type are LG HE4 and MJ1, Samsung 35E and 30Q, Sony VT6 and Panasonic. The maximum capacity at present for this size rechargeable Li-ion battery is about 3500mAh …. probably way more than needed for a LED torch……  but that discussion is a completely different one. Cheers anyway, you’ve helped solve the original enquiry. Many Thanks.

dynaflow
    Participant

I’ve had these batteries for a few years with no issues.I’ll take your word for actual capacity but I also use the same batteries in a Thorfire C8S torch.

Cheers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.