Events Trout Season Highlights… The Money Shot and other Truths

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

DrGraham
    Participant

My golden moment this season was also at Penstock, but unlike Jimmy’s long shot, mine was just a few metres, in windy conditions, almost on hands and knees stalking a back water fish. It was October, the marshes and back channels on the western side were full of water. I found a good size fish, fossicking in a tiny back pool, more of a puddle, less 2 metres long and less than a metre wide and about knee deep. The pool was connected to a larger outer pool amongst the reeds via a small channel barely 30 cm wide and not much longer between two tussocky mounds. Luckily, I had the wind on my back but a narrow target as I was side on to the pool. I had a couple of metres of line out with a long leader and tippet, and managed first cast to drop a potscrubber nymph into the middle of the pool. No response, but it was still there waving its tail in the air. Had it missed the fly? Was it too focussed on something else? Was it too murky from the fish’s rummaging? (Apparently, yes.) But, I hadn’t spooked it. A gentle lift often provokes a response, but no. A quick flick and the nymph re-presented, nothing. Then I saw the dorsal fin and top of tail slowly heading over the sill in the channel to the outer pool. It wasn’t the demeanour of a spooked fish, more like a submarine quietly slipping out of its pen. I had perhaps one more shot. In literally a couple of seconds I pulled off another metre, cast slightly crosswind over one of the mounds to land the nymph and less than a metre of tippet in front of the channel exit. The response was instant – a charge – a swirl – and the fish was well hooked. It was a 3 ½ lb brown in perfect condition and a keeper – lovely dark red flesh, and gut packed with various species of insect larvae

Chief
    Participant

After more years than I care to own up to, read 10+,  I finally nailed a fish in Little Pine – thanks JC2 and your Greenwells Glory 👍

chf
    Participant

Lots of vicarious pleasure in this thread & loving it !

Two highlights for me …

I don’t know why but not long ago I pushed on a bit further through the scrub to get to the water on one of my favourite murky creeks nearish the Yarra ,which I’m only game to fish once or twice a season, usually in early autumn when for some reason the water clears a bit , and unexpectedly found a beautiful run along an undercut bank where a serendipitous tree fall had cleared some brush and created room for a cast and there was a trout on the fin which took the fly first cast and was my best yet from this water … just over two pounds .

And late last year my Dad gave me an old aluminium fly box he found in the shed while clearing out , with about a dozen size 10 Royal Wulffs circa 1985 all flecked with rust and scrunched out of shape by the clips that held them down in the box. On holiday in the Snowys after Christmas I took it out and spent an evening renovating the Wulffs .Some of the hooks broke with a twist from the pliers , some when filing the rust off or crimping and re-sharpening the barb ,but I had a half dozen or so left that I steamed over the kettle back to some sort of shape . Over the rest of the week and then again at Easter I fished them with the kids and their cousin , re-learnt some old lessons about drift , and had a ball seeing how excited the gang could get when all those little trout kept charging at the fly …old Wulffs , old tricks .

Stephen Hill
    Participant

Brilliant stuff re the old flies. What a wonderful story.

Warnesy
    Participant

Highlight for me was fishing with my oldest son on the Tooma. Having been going in there since I was a teenager, it was pretty special be able to take my 7 year old in to fish it with me. Hoping for many more of these trips. Probably the best part was telling my best mate that son made it in after he almost died the year before 🙂

Chief
    Participant

Highlight for me was fishing with my oldest son on the Tooma. Having been going in there since I was a teenager, it was pretty special be able to take my 7 year old in to fish it with me. Hoping for many more of these trips. Probably the best part was telling my best mate that son made it in after he almost died the year before 🙂

yep pretty young on your first trip there ..

Attachments:

Tocs
    Participant

Highlight for me was fishing with my oldest son on the Tooma. Having been going in there since I was a teenager, it was pretty special be able to take my 7 year old in to fish it with me. Hoping for many more of these trips. Probably the best part was telling my best mate that son made it in after he almost died the year before

Nice touch!

Tocs
    Participant

Highlight for me was fishing with my oldest son on the Tooma. Having been going in there since I was a teenager, it was pretty special be able to take my 7 year old in to fish it with me. Hoping for many more of these trips. Probably the best part was telling my best mate that son made it in after he almost died the year before

Nice touch!

BarryJ
    Participant

Nice! I really empathise with your mate! Bloody nearly killed me too!🥺

JC2
    Participant

Lots of highlights for me this year but one memorable one was with Jimmy on Penstock during a very big Dun hatch in February when the the wind was howling and we were in his little wooden boat. The big rainbows were feeding into the wind like schools of tuna. I managed to hook four and landed one. It was a magic time on the water and cold. Jimmy as always great company.

Tocs
    Participant

Unfortunately not many trips to choose from this season, only did two! – one trip to NI NZ in January and then the Spey Casting clinic at Kurow SI in March. At the spey casting clinic it was great to catch up with Mark and Shawn along with meeting a few others, and keeping out of trouble!

Highlight was from a solo NI trip, Fished some of my favourite rivers. My last and best fish of the trip was this beautiful brown with a grayish-blue back and head. Sorry about the blurry image.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 1 hour ago by  Tocs.
    • This reply was modified 6 days ago by  Tocs.
    • This reply was modified 6 days ago by  Tocs.

Stephen Hill
    Participant

Cracking fish Tocs. It really has that NZ look about it.

Mitta
    Participant

Highlight was  . . . . was this beautiful brown . . .

I’ve heard it said Tocs, that there are no crocodiles in New Zealand . . . I’m beginning to have my doubts about that . .

I’m not wading in that water . . . Mitta

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Gee… That’s fairly understated Tocs. I am not altogether sure I would even have a clue about how to land a fish like that in such skinny water.

I am getting the travel bug pretty bad and this thread has opened up some new ideas. It’s nice to see all the lovely memories too. The  post about night fishing made me flinch a bit. There is a nasty memory about too much tequila and too many coyotes from much earlier days that clearly hasn’t been dealt with entirely.

I did consider Talbots as a venue but I didn’t think we could afford the counselling that would entail. Its a good setup though. That’s for sure.

Cheers…Jimmy

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

***beware***

george clooney is walking around nz pretending he’s tocs.

low whistle,

shawn

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.