Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Mark Cloutier
    Participant

This book was reviewed in FL #65 rather glowingly I might add. I’ve just finished reading Trout Diaries and it is a wonderful read. There is plenty of fly-fishing law, philosophy, fun and honesty and above all else it is beautifully written. I’ve followed Derek’s writing through FL and always look forward to the editions with his contributions. This book is much more than a compilation of stories, it’s about a passionate fly-fisherman living the dream. Someone who travels the length of NZ to be where the fishing is at its best, meeting with some rather eclectic characters along the way all speaking the universal language of fly-fishing. There is a bond of sorts with all who fish the fly and you see this with the way Derek meets people and connects with them. This book is not a technical work or a where to fish piece, but its full of knowledge that gently seeps from the pages. It makes you think. It makes you reflect. It makes you want to become a trout bum and travel the road with a fly rod and a dog. Congratulations to Derek.

Mark Cloutier

flylife

Yes, not a difficult book to review. I enjoyed it from start to finish.
    Can highly recommend Anthony Swainson’s book ‘Tangled Lines’ as a follow up. Should have copies next week and will put up a post about it then… 😉

Greg French
    Participant

I have just finished [i:oynymytz]The Trout Diaries[/i:oynymytz], and what a glorious read it was. It has been a long time since I’ve enjoyed a fishing book so well written, so full of pathos and spirit.

If you like stories that go:[i:oynymytz] I was looking for fish; I saw one; I cast to it; the fish responded in a certain way; I tried something else; the fish fought every which-way; the moral is…[/i:oynymytz], then you will find some anecdotes of this type at the beginning of the book, and I guarantee that they won’t disappoint. The writing is so beautiful that even I liked them.

Where the book really hits its stride, however, is in the middle and latter chapters. Here Derek deftly gets into the soul and culture of fly fishing, telling captivating tales that will have you gasping, crying, yearning and laughing out loud. Sometimes all in single paragraph.

I loved Henry, Inky, the Airedales, Grandpa Trout and everyone else. Now I know for sure that New Zealand needs to hail Johnny Groome and Ross Millichamp as National Treasures. But how come I didn’t know that Schauberger collected his ideas on vortices while watching trout?

Derek, I apologise for taking so long to get around to reading your book. It is undoubtedly a classic (just as Rob promised).

Budding writers, I urge you to read and enjoy [i:oynymytz]The Trout Diaries[/i:oynymytz], and then study it. Don’t just look for clues about the mechanics of good prose, but also for what makes a tale worth telling.

flylife

Good one Greg. Should have got you to review it… or maybe you just did. s:up

babelfish
    Participant

Picked up a copy on the weekend, looks good enough to eat.

Will resist starting it until I’m on the plane going over the ditch later this month…seems appropriate.

Neil Grose
    Participant

This is the first book I have actually bought for years, based on what Greg French wrote above. I haven’t read the review in the magazine, but a colleague had also recommended it.

The book arrived about 24 hours after I ordered it (thanks Ian) and while I am only a short way into it, it is a refreshing read.

It is refreshing also to read the words of an ex-guide (like myself) who basically had a fly fishing epiphany and then snipped the shingle from the door.

This is a great book, I couldn’t care less about big fish or numbers, but I do really enjoy the spirit of fly fishing that seeps into every sentence: marvelous.

Royalwulff
    Participant

"the soul and culture of fly fishing, telling captivating tales that will have you gasping, crying, yearning and laughing out loud. Sometimes all in single paragraph"
    the essence of story telling
    Santa has been advised

Brad

In case you don’t have #65, here’s a link to the review.

[url:1bi1cv2t]http://www.flylife.com.au/library/bookrev/65/troutdiaries.html[/url:1bi1cv2t]

I’m reading it at the moment, and I think it verifies Derek as one of the finest fly fishing writers on the planet.

upstream
    Participant

Wow, what a book! I’m about halfway through and am savouring every word.

johnny34
    Participant

Johnny Groome
    I took Dereks book up north with me on holiday. I get agitated about going away as disconnecting myself from my favourite places around home is akin to amputation. I needn’t have worried – the book took me straight back and I was instantly in my comfort zone once again walking the banks of some of my own special places around Haast, Reefton and of course the wonderful Arnold River. As terrible as the Arnold situation is, words cannot express how wonderful it feels to have the spirit of the place and its plight so wonderfully portrayed and set in stone in what is sure to be a NZ angling classic…a little win for a special river that has been on the losing end for so long.
    It makes me think of the comments expressed by Creig Potton on his poorly executed TV series RIVERS. Although well meaning, Pottons ignorance towards angling and its connection to conservation was unforgivable and his belief that there is a serious lack of literature dedicated to our waterways couldn’t be further from the truth. The TROUT DIARIES is another wonderful tribute that further proves the point. It’s stuff like this…books that kick ass…that makes me proud to be a “brother of the angle”. Good one Derek and yes, nice illustrations too :whatever

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.