Travel Talk Tongariro spawning season

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

jgeres
    Participant

Hey folks

can anybody please tell me the season for fishing spawning the Tongariro and nearby rivers please? I am assuming it is over the winter months but would like to know ‘best’ times of year to fish (understanding that rainfall has a lot to do with it too).

many thanx

woody-wood
    Participant

Now until end of August

Tocs
    Participant

Best month to fish the Tongariro is August IMO

RS3100
    Participant

Anytime from now until the end of October, and if you can hit it during or after rain, its superb. If you read the reports on https://www.sportinglife-turangi.co.nz/fishing-reports/ you will see pictures of fat fish posted most days.

I favour early spring as its a bit warmer, plus if its low and hasn’t seen any rain, fish start to rise to mayfly’s sailing past.

Andrew Harding
    Participant

Without a doubt, if it’s numbers you are after, now is NOT the time! there has been a gradual shift to later spawning over the years and now it August – October is the peak time, however, November can be sensational with mending fish and no anglers about as they have all buggered off to the back country! If you only did one trip, I would do it in September/October.

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

all red herrings… go in january.

jgeres
    Participant

Awesome , thanx so much for your responses. Andrew, you put me onto a great stream   a few years back so will make a point to try to get  there late august or september,  assuming one can get across the ditch with ever changing travel restrictions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.