Travel Talk Thompsons Creek Dam

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Tocs
    Participant

Finally got out to Thompsons Creek Dam for a fish. Another first – I got to fish with Mike (asme) – we have been trying tee up a session for while now.

First impressions of TCD were positive – it’s a beautiful stillwater and very very clear.

The lake has a reputation for being a tough fishery. It lived up to its reputation – very tough in the clear conditions. It’s a bit like the Western Lakes except without seeing the occasional big fish or periodic rise to motivate you. That said we got some tiddlers to take our fly. Mike said it was improvement on previous occasions he’d been to TCD!

We hoped to see an evening rise but it didn’t happen.  Some lure fisherman I crossed paths with earlier in the day said quite a few fish were moving in close around sunrise.

The best thing from the trip was ticking off three new bird species!!

DSC_7619
    DSC_7632
    DSC_7658

Mike
    Participant

Wow – I haven’t been there for probably 5-6 years and it looks way better now!! I have never seen it that high.

We always found good rainbows at the far end near the creek – with small beadheads followed by unweighted brown nymphs or glow bugs – slowly stripped back. I now really miss those cold winter mornings up there!!

Great photos.

Mike

sthommo
    Participant

Dr  Speckles and I visited TCD on the 7th and apart from seeing small fish leaping for damsel flies, we saw nothing except a fantastic sunset after a walk around the whole dam.  There never used to be blackberries but there now seems to be a problem developing with them. The only advantage was how sweet they are at the moment.

Tocs
    Participant

Dr Speckles and I visited TCD on the 7th and apart from seeing small fish leaping for damsel flies, we saw nothing except a fantastic sunset after a walk around the whole dam. There never used to be blackberries but there now seems to be a problem developing with them. The only advantage was how sweet they are at the moment.

sthommo,

We saw you both down the SW end of dam late afternoon. I’m glad your assessment of the fishery that day was identical to ours.

TCD would be a good option if you lived in Lithgow – it’s a long way to go from Sydney!

I had a few those blackberries as well!!

sthommo
    Participant

Tocs.

We weren’t sure our eyes were playing tricks on us with you in the distance as your camouflage in the above photos now confirms you were’t just tree stumps.  It was a lonely car park at 8.30pm.

I don’t mind the TCD day trip but where I used to visit at least once a fortnight in the early 2000″s, I am now lucky to get there once a year.  On our previous trip, Dr Speckles caught a thumping brown in a gale right at his feet.  I did try to lose it out of the novelty net he bought on the internet but alas, it was too well hooked.  My prior success at TCD over the years keeps me dreaming that day of polaroiding the big rainbows will coincide with one of my infrequent visits.

Steve Thomson

Talisman
    Participant

Hi fellas, just to add some salt to your wounds but there are now redfin in Thommos dam.

An angler reported along with photo and video footage a redfin being caught. This was about six weeks ago now.

The fish also had other with it I believe.

This will probably postpone the stocking of Tiger trout as fisheries will be growing out the fingerlings to help cope with the possible influx of redfin plight.

Sorry for the bad news……………………Alex

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.