Tackle Talk The Most Versatile Rod Weight

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Cutch
    Participant

I fish fresh water, mainly rivers and have too many rods. The one that comes out most is a Greys 9′ 6″ 4wt that has an extension piece to 10′. Out for a day I carry two reels so I can dry or nymph or both with a floating line or add the extension and put on a Euro nymph line if that suits the circumstances.

This rod does the job on lakes and will land any fresh water fish you will encounter except maybe a huge cod. My 6 wt rarely gets a run and my 8 wt hasn’t been out of the tube for many years.

Ken
    Participant

It depends on what fishing your doing and what style.  For me, it was always a 9′ 5wt for most of the streams and dams around the central west NSW.  While the trout are mostly gonsky, this is still a reasonable option for carp or redfin.  It’s too much for the smaller streams though where a shorter 6′ – 7’6″ rod is easier to manage but I’d go a 4wt for small carp and or a 3wt for trout.  For a general trout rod, I’d consider something like this.   5 wt is a good cross over between dams and rivers.  3wt for small water or Czech nymphing.

I use a 7 wt for dam carp but in truth the 5wt is adequate for the job as long as you protect it from high sticking especially with large fish on, relax the wrist and let it move.

Ken

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Ken.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.