Travel Talk The Flyenna & beyond …

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 169 total)
  • Author

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

The fly was hot all weekend but unfortunately i was only able to squeeze in a quick session yesterday followed by four hours on the water today .
    All on the “T” with alot of fish firstly coming from the nymph .
    The first session was just below town having only limited time .

Little silver bullet that lived up to his name πŸ˜€

After an hour or so the fish became suicidal with the dry fly and the odd dun was seen on the wing !
    This continued into todays session which was quite pleasing considering the extra wind factor .

Went with a dry only for a while until coming across a nice long gutter with slow even flow .
    It took quite a few persistant casts upstream to ensure that i had covered the water thoroughly .
    Also making bounce casts to ensure the tungsten nymph fell close to the dry fly allowing it to reach max depth in quick time πŸ˜‰
    Persistance payed off as it usually does on the “T” and i was hooked up to a “MUNTER” :!:
    Only using a small #16 i instantly knew that a short fight may result and after around one minute of titanic struggle the fish returned down stream where the hook was slightly straightened before pulling clear :cry:
    Still managed to snap one pic as he went past rolling and thrashing before holding the bottom and forcing a stale mate .
    Thats where he regained some composure ,thrashed the head and we parted company :rolleyes:

Rolling over with his tail in the air as i snapped the only pic .

As they say you can’t win them all !

Caught more fish using the same rig when i stumbled across another feeding fish just upstream from the last .
    Descent size and landed which put a smile back on the dial πŸ˜€

The best fish on the bank for the weekend .

Another release s:up

Packed up and went home after that for a well deserved drink ,bloody hot here and its 29 degrees ATM !
    Dave …

ben
    Participant

Bet that beer tatse good Dave. Well done. I reckon that fish is there waiting for you, next time. s:up

Ben

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

Cheers Ben !
    I hope he is still in the same are on the next visit .
    May have to try a different nymph to trip him up this time though ,maybe even a larger #14 hook with a small sparse #16 body will do the job πŸ˜‰
    Or perhaps a #12 stone fly will temp the big blighter :???
    Decisions ,decisions :rolleyes:
    Dave …

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

A few more pics .

From under the riffle in a shallow run .

Cracker from the head of a pool ,he was holding right under the inflow .

Same fish .

Dave …

gumnuts
    Participant

Wow. Fish after solid fish! Sure beats some posts (like mine…)

For that little stream to carry so many good fish, they must move up from the Derwent?

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

Not to many up this way would be from the Derwent GN but there would have to be the odd one or two πŸ˜‰
    Good size fish from top to bottom and the very skinny top end is renowned for XO size fish also .
    Though landing them in the log jams is another story :rolleyes:
    All the bigger fish resort to cannibalism but still they can be caught with the nymph s:up
    Dave …

big dave
    Participant

Jeez Dave, some fine fish there. s:up

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

Thanks Big Dave πŸ™‚
    There has been some very nice fish about .

More spoils from a quick stop on a favourite run this arvo .
    They have slowed down after a small amount of rain fell this morning though they were there with some extra persistance s:up

This fish must have been training to be a pilot with the amount of air time he clocked up s:up

A heavy tungsten bead was exchanged for a lighter brass bead in the shallow front half of the run .

One more chunk before exiting the water :whatever

Dave …

Tubbs
    Participant

Nice fish as usual Dave. Thanks for posting. Another one for the Bucket List, me thinks!

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

The "T" is most definately bucket worthy Tubb’s s:up
    Another stream to add to the list πŸ˜‰
    Dave …

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

No lack of fish feeding at the moment though they are a little flighty at best with the low water levels .
    Lots of fish to be polaroided and with the warm water they are really firing when hooked :shock:
    Even the small 1lbers gave me a run ,thus not all were landed busting me off on willows and rocks as they bolted down stream ,or for cover under the overhang .
    This fat little unit took me 2 pools down with his gusto so i thought he was worthy of a pic πŸ˜€

Lots of healthy fish around the 1.5lb were on the go with a few better being tripped up aswell .

A solid fish on πŸ˜€

One that made it to the bank .
    The tail fin was very damaged so he will be easily recognised if caught again πŸ˜‰

Only two on the dry and one and a half dozen on the specialty nymph .
    Took a while to find the fish at first but they were stacked up in the heads of the pools ,probably enjoying the oxygenated water :idea:
    Dave …

LilDave
    Participant

s:up

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

Merry X-mas Mr and Mrs Little s:up
    Dave …

streak
    Participant

Nicely done. Two and half weeks until I get there …. can’t wait.

LilDave
    Participant
    quote Tyenna Dave:

Merry X-mas Mr and Mrs Little s:up
    Dave …

You too mate! This year were heading opposite direction in the end… A few days around Cooktown on mums place… Have a good one!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 169 total)
  • The topic ‘The Flyenna & beyond …’ is closed to new replies.