Travel Talk The Flyenna & beyond …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 169 total)
  • Author

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

At long last the river was suitable in water flow to try the flies out on a few runs .
    As expected the #16 brown nymph received the most attention ,though two fish were taken on the dry/emerger πŸ˜€
    28 fush were landed with half a dozen lost off the line which included the first four takers :rolleyes:
    The first fish landed warmed up the ol rod nicely .

Most of the better fish were feeding hard on the bottom .

There were more fish than you could shake a gold stick at :lol:

This fish was as black as a Pedder specimen .

5 Atlantics were taken on the nymph though all were small .

Dave …

Ofuros
    Participant

Piping hot session dave πŸ˜€ ….well done.

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

Cheers Ofuros :!:
    They were definate feeding hard which was quite surprising .
    Looking forward to the dry fly weather s:up
    Dave …

LilDave
    Participant

I spent all day catching sooties hand over fist yesterday and I’m still jealous! Good stuff Dave!

dunamis
    Participant

Did you bother with an indicator dave or just the single nymph?

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

Your Nunya is on my bucket list Dave πŸ˜‰ Cheers mate !
    I just went with a high vis emerger for the dry/indicator Dunamis πŸ˜€
    The nymph was a #16 with tungsten bead (3/32), suspended 3.5′ below the dry .
    Only a few fish had a look at the dry so i stuck with the nymph dropper .
    Really i should of changed up to a two nymph rig and indicator :mrgreen: :whatever
    I imagine i would of fooled a few more fish with an unweighted trailing nymph and i am a fan of indicator nymphing πŸ˜‰
    Dave …

dunamis
    Participant

Cheers dave, was just wondering because I think I might make up a few indicators and try nymphing as a way of teaching the young fella. I think he’ll probably catch a few more on the nymph but still have the "visual" aspect of fly fishing.

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

Top way to teach the young fella πŸ˜‰
    It should also hone the reflexs :lol:
    Dave …

jacques
    Participant

Dave
    See you in Feb mate!
    Jac

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

I will do my best to leave a few for you Jaq πŸ˜€
    Dave …

delphin
    Participant

when did they start adding salmon?! or these escapees?

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

Definately escapee’s Delphin πŸ™‚
    There are two farms on the river ,one at Karanja and one at National Park .They used to raise Rainbows but it has now been Atlantics only for nearly ten years .
    No stocking has ever taken place here in the Tyenna as the fish migrated from the original Plenty River stocking . s:up
    They have bred like rabbits ever since πŸ˜€ :lol:
    Dave …

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

The planets have aligned enough for a little fly fishing this arvo πŸ˜€
    The action was slow for about the first ten minutes until i got the depth of my indicator nymph rig set correctly .
    A little adjustment was also needed with the flies and it payed off nearly straight away with a very solid hook up down deep .
    The fish showed himself with a jump or two before heading into a log jam where i was busted off on the 6.5lb line :rolleyes:
    Moved on after landing a few fish from that run to find more perfect water for the nymph’s .
    The fish were really on the go and it didn’t take long to bag out multiple times s:up

To cut a long story short i encountered another big fish that also busted me off after a ten minute long struggle πŸ™
    Two fish around the 6lb mark gone :cry:
    Feeling a little disapointed in myself i thought i would throw just a few more casts before heading off .
    To my surprise i hooked up yet again to another cracking fish that was eventually landed .
    Pics don’t do them justice 😐

The release …

After having been reved up by that fish i thought finishing off the run may just be worth while .
    And it was ! Another nice one ended up on the bank ,lucky to as he did snag me up for a few heart stopping seconds .
    Another long fight with the fish using the currents to its favour πŸ˜€

The release …

I wonder how long it will be before we get some hot weather and the snow flake caddis start up :?: :idea:
    Can’t wait for that :!:
    Dave …

benhohnke
    Participant

was starting to heat up here lots. then it stormed yesterday and today and dropped the temps again oh well

Tyenna Dave
    Participant

There has not been much stability here either Ben :x
    Looks like there will be a small window tomorrow before the rain starts up and the river rises yet again :rolleyes:
    Dave …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 169 total)
  • The topic ‘The Flyenna & beyond …’ is closed to new replies.