#103 Winter 2021 “The Crossover Season”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

BarryJ
    Participant

The digital version of #103 just landed and this great article by Mark Cloutier caught my eye before I even thought about following my usual reading pattern (editorial, Last Cast, letters).

Like Mark, I much prefer sight fishing and thoroughly enjoyed reading about his approach to fishing waters which I number among my favourites; Nineteen Lagoons and Bronte Lagoon!👍🏻

The article has whetted my appetite for the forthcoming season opening of these waters in August (and they have only been closed for four weeks)!

DrGraham
    Participant

I agree Barry.  Sight fishing is what distinguishes fly fishing from other forms of “wetting a line” – finding a fish, dropping a fly on its nose and convincing the fish it’s worth eating.  It definitely quickens the pulse.

Mark Cloutier
    Participant

Thanks Barry. I enjoyed writing the story. Bronte is a bit of a favourite if the levels are stable and high. Had a similar time of it on L Pine last season where some fish would eat a dry, then the next wouldn’t, then I’d bust them off…I eventually worked it out. Hope to catch you on the water this season.

DrGraham
    Participant

Mark, keep writing the stories.  Like Barry, I went straight to your article before reading anything else.  I hope you are working on another book.  “River Song” is the best fly fishing book that I’ve read in years.  I could have easily read it cover to cover in one session, but I deliberately stopped at the end of each chapter to think about what you were saying.  I agree too, that sometimes it’s better to change fish than change flies, but I’ll also persist with a recalcitrant fish.  There’s great satisfaction when I eventually fool it.

flylife

In a lake situation where shots are more transient it makes more sense to keep the fly on and look for the next fish, whereas in streams with fish on station you have more time to run a few different flies past a difficult fish. Must admit though, as mentioned in my Last Gasp, I’m much more a fish changer than a fly changer.

Mark Cloutier
    Participant

Thanks DrGraham for your kind words and encouragement – and you’ll be happy to know that I am well into another large writing project! Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.