Fly Clubs & Organisations Tassie Ticklers 7

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)
  • Author

Rick
    Participant

I’ll be wandering tomorrow but it will not be that high. 🙂

stephen-hill
    Participant

Reckon it will be a top day for a wander.
    The webcam footage today is spectacular, especially the Augusta defrost 🙂

Rick
    Participant

Have read a few negative reports lately regarding Arthurs so headed up today to try and prove them wrong. 🙂

Spent the day zipping around in the boat, from the Cowpaddock to Seven Pound Bay to Tumbledown to Jones Bay and around the island looking for fish but came up short. It was very bright and calm day and the water was very clear but no fish were polaroided. Didn’t even see any shooting off from the front of the boat.

Before heading home I spent half an hour in Jonah Bay and lost two in the space of five minutes! One almost ripping the rod out of my hand!

Shame to lose them but man did they pack a punch. I’ve always thought pound for pound Arthurs fish were the best fighters in the state and these two proved it!

Spoke to a few fellas at the boat ramp and they all played blankety blanks as well. Looks like it [i:19nqbbf2]is[/i:19nqbbf2] going to be a slow start at Arthurs. 😐

stephen-hill
    Participant

Ah well, at least you were out in it Rick.
    I’m having a trip out NW tomorrow. Expectations are high.
    They normally are though the night before. 😉

stephen-hill
    Participant

Gate gets opened on Friday. Just talked with Parks.

Rick
    Participant

Damn it. Was going to ride out Saturday.

Heading out?

stephen-hill
    Participant

Probably not. Was thinking it would be good, but thinking led to remembering and then remembering led to lists and well, lists led to probably not going.
    😉

Rick
    Participant

That’s a shame because I’ll really miss you :rofl :rofl :rofl

stephen-hill
    Participant

I doubt it. 😉

Rick
    Participant

How was the NW?

stephen-hill
    Participant

Pretty good. Had my chances. Got to get use to fishing nymphs again. 😳

Rick
    Participant

Went out to the Nineteen Lagoon area on Grand Final day (AFL) as I had no interest in the game.

I had been watching the weather all week and it was forecast to be warm but very windy. The wind did not disappoint.

As I drove across Augusta Dam my Grandad’s words came back to me. He would say “wind, annoy or destroy!”………this was both!!
    I had only seen Augusta as rough as this one other time, it was slamming.

I decided to head to a water that I had not visited for around 25 years. We really are spoilt here in Tassie, too many other waters to visit. The last time I fished this one it was like a mirror, boy did it look different today.

I walked head first into the howling gale armed with a slightly heavier rod than usual for this area. Leaning into the wind trying to stay anchored to the ground I made my way to the shore. I now know what a bug feels like hanging on to a windscreen at 80kmh. :shock:

I popped my head over the first undercut bank I came to and watched in disbelief as a large dark shape swam slowly away. Stupid, I should have known better. I’ve made this mistake before and here I go making it again. Next mistake I made was stepping over a foot wide gutter running into the lake. All hell broke loose as another fish disappeared. Doh!

After taking a few deep breaths and getting my heart back to a more respectable pace I walked on, more alert than ever.

A large bow wave caught my eye as a big brown charged into the shallows. I watched carefully as it circled back around the small inlet and I flicked my small olive yeti around two feet in front of its snout. I couple of small jerks and the fish made a dash after my fly. Eyes and back out of the water the fish slashed and I struck………missed!! What a great moment though, one I will never forget! 🙂

No fish sighted for a while so I decided to change tact.

Flicking the yeti into the waves and pulling it in as they broke over the shore I instantly found trout.

Almost straight away I had a hit, this time hooking up. The trout came out of the water like I had just stuck a stick of dynamite ups its butt! Then, he was gone!
    I continued on for the next hour, having fish smash, grab, charge and spit the fly. Not sure why they were not connecting properly but to be honest, I really didn’t mind. Just the rush of seeing their dark backs coming out of the water as they tried to engulf the fly was fantastic. I probably encountered around 20 nice trout behaving that way.

Wind burnt, tired and defeated, I went home blankety blanks! Sure no fish landed but it will be a day that will always have a special place in my mind.

I won’t be waiting another 25 years! 🙂

Chief
    Participant

Rick we must fish together more, I feel a book coming on – one hundred and one excuses to blank s:up might need to invite GR into the fold :mrgreen:

jimfish
    Participant

I feel your pain Rick, fished up there fri and sun. Was breezy but not to bad. I polaroided plenty of fish over the two days but was only able to connect to one which flip flopped on the surface before spitting the fly. Frustrating but immensely enjoyable weekend.

stephen-hill
    Participant

What a great read. Happy and disappointed for you Rick.
    Well done for having a crack. Your yetis are gold up there.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.