Travel Talk Stuck in Peru

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Greg French
    Participant

Hi everyone from Ollantaytambo in Peru

There’s good fishing to be had near Machu Picchu, and lots of other stuff to do too, but at the moment the rivers are in flood and Frances and I can’t go very far because of countrywide lock-down. We’re hoping for an emergency flight home on 3 April, after the country lifts the stay-at-home laws, but who knows what is going to happen. There’s a story or two in this saga, I suppose. (You can see that we have plenty of time to kill by the simple fact that I’m making this post.)

ANDREW
    Participant

No Qantas flights after 31st of March and 14days  self quarantine in Tasmania if or when you get back.

Bummer of a time to travel.

Good luck Greg.

flylife

Greg didn’t mention they are at the end of a 6 week trip to South America! 😷 Sounds more like a book than a story or two. And they were going to help us pick grapes when they got back… At least we can still communicate…👍

ANDREW
    Participant

The Guardian and BBC reported that Peru is closing borders. Lots of Brits, Americans stuck. Plane tickets at 3000 pounds. Real mess.

flylife

Here is an insight re life in France for some friends at their seaside holiday retreat.

With borders closed reduced flights and no ability to transit through Singapore airport – we too can’t get
    home. Could be here long time as Macron is tough – which is fabulous. It’s an eye opener – how a president should run a country in crisis.
    Things very strange here – and I’m finding it culturally very interesting in btn the covid panics. Macron incredible – decisive transparent and honest. France in tough shutdown for next 15 days. Probably longer. We need an attestation form stating reason why we leave cottage – shop, medical or daily exercise are only tick box reasons and we must be alone. Only ten people in any supermarket at one time in France. And one metre respected everywhere.
    Everything in country shut except food stores, chemists and takeaway places. You cannot stop or linger to talk to anyone. No walking along waterfront. No private home drinks or meals with any number over 5 even if family. Fines are 135e and on the spot if not having a good reason or not have form. Army and police all over country – patrols. Borders shut.
    Spain and Italy not coping. Eu not good state as increasing 30% daily. Uk hopeless – hardly testing at all. And
    shambolic start to it all so hope things ok there.
    Apart from that life is still fab here and weather starting warm…

woody-wood
    Participant

It Could be a lot worse, you could be stuck in South Australia.

Greg French
    Participant

The lockdown in Peru has brought out the worst in some people, but mostly it has brought out the best. Our hosts at Peru Quechua’s Lodge – locals Edith and Stan – are among the most wonderful people I’ve ever met, and our fellow guests (from all over the world) are all taking pains to look after each other. Humanity at it’s best.

Today the Canadian government began repatriating its citizens stranded in Peru. The three Canadians staying with us (they seem like family now) left this morning on a special bus which will have special dispensation to pass through all the road blocks en route to Cuzco. From there they will fly to Lima then Canada.

The Australian government seems to have abandoned it’s citizens. DFAT can’t even operate a functional website.

Lucky for us, our travel agent (Flight Centre, Hobart) is on the job. We will have to wait until after the lockdown, but they have negotiated flights that will allow us to transit through Chile and New Zealand without having to self-isolate in those countries. Of course things could change between now and then, but at least they are making an honest effort.

Despite our hardships, I support the decisive cation taken by Peru. I have no doubt that history will be much kinder to Peru than countries like the US.

We live in interesting times.

Tocs
    Participant

Good luck Greg. I hope your movements back to Australia go smoothly.

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

all canadians should be on special buses, mate.

PT48
    Participant

My wife and I are in Gore. The NZ government is moving very quickly this week from Stage 3 to Stage 4 restrictions in a bid to corral the growth of the virus. On Wednesday we hope to be able to fly from Dunedin to Wellington but it is seemingly impossible to communicate with Air NZ to confirm our booking (which was made months ago). From Wellington we will somehow have to get to Auckland to try to get a flight back to Oz. Similarly, it is impossible to communicate with QANTAS to determine when that flight will be. The poor old airlines are trying to operate in a climate where the rules are changing on a daily basis. If we get to Melbourne, we will then have to somehow conjure a flight to Hobart and commit to 14 days of confinement – the least of our problems. It has been a hell of a fishing trip and despite virus threats and poor weather, the fishing in the Mataura catchment has been surprisingly good, especially considering the massive floods of a month ago. Trout are amazing survivors.

Regards

Peter

PT48
    Participant

We were able to scramble back to Australia ten hours ahead of the lock down in NZ. It was a very stressful experience, especially in the days leading up to our decision to take the initiative and do what we could to get out. In the end the waters parted and we were lucky – we are very grateful for that and to be back in Hobart. My 37th fishing trip to NZ will now, sadly, be my last. Too old for these sorts of high dramas.

Best wishes

Peter

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Welcome back to the Bastion PT.  Glad you are safely home.

J

PT48
    Participant

Thanks Jimmy. Hopefully all other Forum members who are stuck overseas will stay well and find a safe route home.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.