Species Talk Strange things caught on fly

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

ha ha… leave it to a coloradan.

youse guys will eat everything not covered in snow or a bra*.

(go to ft collins colorado. …perhaps return. I wouldn’t hold it against you…)

cheers.

shawn

DrGraham
    Participant

Not sure what this is? A Sleepy Cod maybe? Caught in Coffs estuary on a shrimp pattern. Buried itself in the sand one hooked & I had to carefully handline it free.CoffsCodPeachyShrimp

It’s hard to tell what fish it is while still in the water, but it’s not a gurnard or any other member of the Family Triglidae (sea robins and gurnards) or Scorpaenidae (scorpionfish, stone fish etc.).  Judging by the shape of the mouth and position of the eyes, I reckon it’s a stargazer, Uranoscopidae, and most likely a species of the genus Kethatostoma.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Right… I am never cooking up something that unpronounceable, thats for sure.

As for the snow and the bra appetite business… I did have a nice little hot spring setup about an hours drive west of Ft. Collins and a useful hours walk up a mountainside.  A small detail not fully appreciated by all the invitees for some reason… but it was great fun in a snowstorm! Tequila chilling in the snowbank etc. etc…  typical 70’s game plan.

Nice flashback…..Jimmy

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

estas? ’nuff said.

cheers!

thommo227
    Participant

Not sure what this is? A Sleepy Cod maybe? Caught in Coffs estuary on a shrimp pattern. Buried itself in the sand one hooked & I had to carefully handline it free.CoffsCodPeachyShrimp

It’s hard to tell what fish it is while still in the water, but it’s not a gurnard or any other member of the Family Triglidae (sea robins and gurnards) or Scorpaenidae (scorpionfish, stone fish etc.). Judging by the shape of the mouth and position of the eyes, I reckon it’s a stargazer, Uranoscopidae, and most likely a species of the genus Kethatostoma.

Yes, I think you are correct.  Eyes were right on top and sort of closed.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.