Species Talk Strange things caught on fly

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

chf
    Participant

The spider of course .

A Dragonfly and a Bat have taken the fly in the air .

Swallows and a Duck  took the fly off the water and each time I wasn’t quick enough on the pickup when I saw them go for it , the swallows seemed to nip at the fly with their beak and then either refuse or drop it and thankfully I didn’t hookup.

The Duck just tore out of a bush and nabbed the fly , I was terrified as it flew off and I had no idea how I’d release it , and worse was that technically I was poaching … it was in France and I’d not been able to resist a beautiful stretch of water , nor had I been able to get permission to fish as my French is quite poor ,and the duck made quite a commotion and the village was in sight … thank goodness for barbless hooks as the duck made its getaway and I got my fly back and I beat a hasty retreat back to the hotel and was too embarrassed to go out that evening .

Interested to hear the Tiger Snake story … can’t guess how that happened !

flylife

Young and stupid. Jordan River at Hunting Ground where we lived in student days. The snake swam across a pool where I was fishing from the bank with Libby. Being stupid I cast across its back and struck my dry to foul hook it. The fight was great fun until I eventually brought it back to our bank. Then the battle changed to me trying to stop the snake climbing out under our feet! With the snake on the bank at rod’s length the fly came out and we ran away… Lib was not impressed!

SkyeWarrior
    Participant

Have boated a few water dragons/drop lizards when bass fishing.  Get a few scratches unhooking.   Dunno why…

‘Worry sometimes about the kingfishers.   The wee buggers fly faster than I think and it’s been a near thing when they’ve decided my fly looks good enough to eat.

Stevo

chf
    Participant

Been thinking about how to release the poor critters who’ve been unable to resist the fly …I’ve so far been lucky with barbless long distance releases ( apart from the spider , and one bat ).

And it made me think of using the tiptop guide as a kind of ketchum release tool where you just slide the rod up the line to the hook when close enough and hopefully hey presto … a bit like getting a fly out of a tree and at least you keep a rod length away from the snake , water dragon , platypus etc . The risk I guess is to your rod tip but the upside is avoiding handling the creature and causing it more injury or being bitten/scratched .

Anyone used this technique ? ( I can’t claim originality having my memory jogged on this in a recent newsletter whose author claims it is their preferred release method for trout !)

oldpiscator
    Participant

Sounds great if you are in the market to buy a new rod I reckon.

Chris Beech
    Participant

Been thinking about how to release the poor critters who’ve been unable to resist the fly …I’ve so far been lucky with barbless long distance releases ( apart from the spider , and one bat ).

And it made me think of using the tiptop guide as a kind of ketchum release tool where you just slide the rod up the line to the hook when close enough and hopefully hey presto … a bit like getting a fly out of a tree and at least you keep a rod length away from the snake , water dragon , platypus etc . The risk I guess is to your rod tip but the upside is avoiding handling the creature and causing it more injury or being bitten/scratched .

Anyone used this technique ? ( I can’t claim originality having my memory jogged on this in a recent newsletter whose author claims it is their preferred release method for trout !)

I’d say that author hasn’t fished much.

Best ignore that advice, unless you like repairing rods

woody-wood
    Participant

I thought this topic was about things you caught in your fly when it was first put up.

“Frank and Beans” from Something About Mary kept springing to mind.

The only things I seem to catch are bushes and the occasional trout.

A two dollar fly and 50 cents of tippet are cheaper than a shortened rod.

woody-wood
    Participant

chf
    Participant

Its certainly not something I’d try in every circumstance , and it would require a bit of finesse and skilful handling …

Still think I give it a go if I was unlucky enough to have a snake on the other end ( I always wondered exactly how Scholes released the snake he got to eat a red tag ), and probably most of the other critters too if I could see the fly and it wasn’t already entangled in line .

I don’t think I could just bust it off and leave the fly and maybe some tippet and/or line in …that just doesn’t seem right to me, especially for protected native species ,and I’d want the release to involve minimal stress  and definitely all line and the fly removed safely .

The alternatives would then be trying to bring it to hand or net , or get close enough for forceps/pliers , which may possibly involve more risk of injury to animal or angler … its a difficult call … the risk to your rod versus minimal handling and stress to what you hooked .

Hope we’re all skilled enough to avoid the conundrum in the future!! And I’d love to hear any successful release stories with details !

( P.S the guy who recommended it as a technique for releasing fish lives on a trout stream , has run a successful fishing business in the northern hemisphere for a quarter century , is a noted author of natural history books and has fished the world , but I guess like us all has his own brand of anglers craziness )

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Well, ever since reading about that tip top eyelet release method, I cannot get past the image of my foul hooked wife reeled all the way in to the rod tip prior to release…. Not to mention Mother.

Far,far too dangerous to even consider such an option… and a broken rod guaranteed. Lord only knows what would happen next.

Better to drop the rod and just run. It worked last time…

Jimmy

Mitta
    Blocked

. . . my foul hooked wife . . . (and) Mother. . . . drop the rod and just run. It worked last time…

I reckon your mom and I would have gotten along really, really well . . .

. . . always, a mothered Mitta

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.