Species Talk Strange things caught on fly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Jason King
    Participant

I was just having a chuckle at the spider caught on fly thread a couple of posts ago and it got me thinking about a couple of months ago when practice casting at the park and my leader caught a galah.

After the backcast I pushed the screen door button for the front cast and “shreeeek!!”

I had a galah attached….it actually flew half the oval and I’m thinking…how the hell am I going to get this thing off!

It must have been a real Candid camera moment for anyone watching.

luckily it untangled itself and flew off….I was picturing myself getting very badly bitten if I had to untangle it.

Has anyone else hooked something unexpected?

Jason.

Chris Beech
    Participant

Had swallows pick up and get hooked on emergers a few times

garygreene
    Participant

Hooked a cow on backcast, fly came back with a bit of fur.

micmac3701
    Participant

Tench aka red eyed snot fish.  If you do hook one don’t net it, unless you plan to burn the net.

flylife

Bat, platypus, black duck and tiger snake have all been tamed on my fly rod.

Gerard
    Participant

Bat, platypus, black duck and tiger snake have all been tamed on my fly rod.

Done the platypus thing also.  Took me to my backing…

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Had a dragonfly grab a comparadun mid cast. Took me awhile to figure that one out… bit weird with no trees around and the flyline sort of drifting around overhead.

Duck/hopper fly     Platypus/streamer   eel/nymph    wife/emerger   Mother/klinkhammer

The last two were pretty dangerous situations… I could have easily been injured.

Cheers…Jimmy

flylife

Also caught a huge longfin eel when fishing at a stream mouth in Te Anau at night. Thought I’d hooked the mother of all browns…

PT48
    Participant

The town pools of the Mighty T often yield an onlooker.

dynaflow
    Participant

The Noddy Terns on Kiritimati are popular with anglers….

freestone
    Participant

5’ grey kangaroo caught in the ear we think on the wife’s backcast at Eucumbene.

DrGraham
    Participant

Caught a black swan on a gum beetle, and the back of my head in blustery conditions numerous times with various patterns.  All good reasons for fishing barbless.

Alanta
    Participant

A bat that took a Craigs Nighttime mid cast. Splashed down and came to hand all soggy. Was okay though.

micmac3701
    Participant

Who among us can match Dinas Vawr’s “hundred pounder on a dry”?

oldpiscator
    Participant

Who among us can match Dinas Vawr’s “hundred pounder on a dry”?

Just finished rereading The Ratbag Mind of Dinas Vawr. Fantastic read.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.