Talking Tactics slow river tactics

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

rickvisa
    Participant

Hi one and all, i am comfortable with fishing faster streams. But have no idea with slow moving rivers example the Macquarie river , ( tassie one ). I have bit of a idea of flys to use. But no idea how to work the river. as in best areas to cover? how long to spend time at one spot, before moving on, to next? and so on………

Any help would be great. hope you all have great season.

cheers rick

DrGraham
    Participant

Hello Rick,

David Scholes’ books describe well the tactics required for the slow rivers, or flat rivers as he called them.  The Fly-fisher in Tasmania is the best place to start.  The tactics Scholes describes are as relevant today as back in the 60s. Reprint copies are still available at times, but there’s always the library or a friendly fly-fisher or club willing to lend their copies.  As I recall, the early season, right now, will see flooded rivers and the backwaters are excellent for fishing with small dark flies like the Robin, created for this very situation.  Towards October, and again in March/April, it will be time for the Pot Scrubber Nymph, Lambda Dun and Macquarie Red Spinner, all specific for the Macquarie.  Scholes seemed less enthusiastic about the high summer period, the flat rivers start to lose flow and get warm, but fish will take black spinners and terrestrials in the long pools and runs in between.

micmac3701
    Participant
    1. look for feeding fish.
    2. look for fish food.
    3. repeat 1 & 2 until something happens.

Read as much as you can about the locations and spend as much time as you can on the water observing it’s moods.

still waters (lakes or slow rivers) involves a lot more stalking/hunting and ambush than flowing streams, seems that way to me at least.

Nog
    Participant
    1. look for feeding fish.
    2. look for fish food.
    3. repeat 1 & 2 until something happens.

Read as much as you can about the locations and spend as much time as you can on the water observing it’s moods.

still waters (lakes or slow rivers) involves a lot more stalking/hunting and ambush than flowing streams, seems that way to me at least.

Easy for you to say when a guy only has size 12 Adams and they’re sipping teeny weeny thingys (Mersey @ Union bridge 🙁 )

micmac3701
    Participant

Yep good point. That’s where the Autumn box gets slipped into the vest pocket and some deadly serious low result/high reward stuff starts.IMG_7671

rickvisa
    Participant

Cheer folks

Many thanks for info.

Any more info , the more the merrier..

rickvisa

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.