Talking Tactics Shipping and postage options

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

I am not quite sure just where to put up this post. Sometimes we really do need a research category for folks like Mitta and I.
    I am going to be moving some seriously big sticks around the globe in the near future and I have come up against Australia Post and their latest size limitations. 105cm is the maximum linear dimensions accepted for postage. That means that any rod over 12′ is going to need a different shipping method.
    Has anybody out there recently faced the same issue and found a viable solution? We are surely talking about places like North America or Europe as I cant imagine many locals looking for a 16′ Mackenzie 11wt, which really needs to go to Norway or Russia for a run.
    Any suggestions will be duly investigated. Any big stick addicts should ask pointed questions.
    Thanks in advance….Jimmy

bpmick
    Participant

I use these guys
    never had an issue,
    https://www.packsend.com.au/get-a-quote

cheers

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

I’ve used the same fellas sending 2pc and 15′ speys back and forth to the seppos.

they’re dear. but they’re good.
    hmmm… sounds like someone I know.

cheers,
    big note

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Whoa! Check it out… one hour and three minutes to find a solution, and just thirty three minutes to have it confirmed by another experienced punter. This is why I love this forum. Its never failed me yet. Ignored me when necessary or appropriate of course…. but never failed me in time of need. Thanks sincerely Fellas. Cheers….Jimmy

KO
    Participant

Coming in late. BUT aus post have always had the 105cm longest dimension limit on their parcels.
    I hd to ship a two piece rod to NZ in 2000 to have a new butt section made. Had the same problem then

If you are shipping around the globe, also have a look at excess baggage companies.

Cheers

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Well we are about to find out what works, as there are ten or so spey rods about to come up on this forum in the next week. I really cant imagine the NW crew grabbing many of them tomorrow when they get their exclusive viewing . The MacKenzie went to a good home very early on. Fortunately not before I had a chance to play with it. Doing the maths on the arc of swing and tip speed was pretty enlightening!
    I have not heard of excess baggage companies before so will see what I can learn. Thanks for the heads up.
    Cheers..Jimmy

stevel
    Participant

Wow I haven’t been on here for quite a while but it seems that in the meantime you’ve developed a serious spey fetish or you’ve inherited a swag of Spey rods from someone who did.
    Presumably whoever used that (Scott) Mackenzie 16′ didn’t use it downunder.
    You probably got rid of them all already but don’t you use couriers like ups, fedex et al and aren’t there brokers who do deals with the couriers so the shipping is pretty reasonable? I can ship a rod from the UK to the US or Canada through one of these brokers for about £30 and it still gets there in 3-5 days fully tracked. There is a 1m limit in Royal Mail as well.

Cheers,
    Steve

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Gee it certainly HAS been a long time Stevel! The rods in question are all from the estate of Bevin Baker and I have been trying to sell them off for his wife. A few went to some locals but the rest are still sitting about until I have enough energy to get them onto the spey pages or similar. It is a shame our postage is so awkward from here as it adds another $100 to any pricings.
    A couple of the hand built trout spey’s did end up in my quiver. The big MacKenzie is in good hands.
    Good to hear from you again. I certainly remember your good advise way back when Spey was still a mystery.
    Cheers…Jimmy

stevel
    Participant

Hi Jimmy,
    Great to hear from you again. It all makes sense now, I had read with great sadness that Bevin (tassiespey) had passed away suddenly on Spey Pages. I’m glad that some of his gear ended up in yours and other good hands, I guess that is always the wish of all we fishermen that our gear after we pass on goes to other fanatics like us and continue to provide enjoyment.
    Good health and tight lines,
    Cheers,
    Steve

stevel
    Participant

Hi Jimmy,
    Was just thinking, please drop me a PM with the list of remaining gear.
    I don’t need any gear but I may be amenable to having a rod shipped up to my Mum’s in Brisbane so I can have a practise in the Brissie River – I hear there’s barra and threadfins in there these days. Something I would have only dreamt about as a boy growing up there.
    I’m due for a return trip this year so it might work out.
    Anything to help.
    Cheeers,
    Steve

stevel
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.

stevel
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.