Tackle Talk Scott Centric thoughts

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Red Maple
    Participant

Hello forum. I am hoping to get feedback on your thoughts of the new Scott Centric. Particularly in 5 weight and 6 weight.
    How does it compare to the Radian ?

What line are you using?

Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

PT48
    Participant

Here is the one thought that I have. The Centric must be a hell of a rod to replace the Radian because the Radian is the best graphite rod that I have ever owned. Light in the hand when mated with a Ross Evolution, highly directional, true to line weight, amazingly strong in the butt and delicate in presentation due to the sensitive tip. The advertising hype was, for once, right when it comes to this rod. It is my go-to dry fly rod in NZ.

KieranO
    Participant

I sold my radian 5wt that I’d fallen out of love with and got myself  a centric some 8 months or so ago. Is the centric better? I reckon it is a better overall fishing rod. Saying this you can’t really compare the two rods as they’re different beasts. However the centric flexes a bit deeper, recovers a bit faster and is more forgiving than the radian and is in my opinion a better fishing rod, especially at short range. I suppose I could follow others and start quoting swing weights and other technical jargon on the centric but that doesn’t tell you much and that stuff doesn’t sell me a rod. I’m more interested in how a rod fishes.

As for lines I use a SA infinity smooth on my centric (used the same line on the radian too) and find that this line sweetly loads the rod and that I’m covered for most of the fishing I do, including, lake and river fishing with dries, wets and nymphs.

If you can, cast a centric alongside a radian using the same line and reel and form your own opinion, don’t be clouded by the online hype. Make your own mind up as laying down the significant $ on the latest rod may not make you a better fly fisher/caster and really the fish don’t give a crap about what gear you’re using anyway.

Cheers

Kieran

Chris Beech
    Participant

A mate of mine hates his 5 weight and is looking at selling it… I had a cast of it with a SA Sonar Intermediate line and it was pretty average to be honest. Maybe it’s just for floating lines.

Chris Beech
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Red Maple
    Participant

Hi Chris.
    Tell your mate thanks for the offer , if I hadn’t bought a 5 weight Scott G Series a week ago I would have jumped at it . I had been saving up for a 5 weight Centric , but when I saw the G on this forum I bought it on impulse.
    So my dilemma now is do I keep the 5 wt G and get a 6 wt Centric or equivalent. Or do I save a heap of money and just get the 5 weight just Centric ?
    The G is beautiful, and I think it would be perfect for my main fishing location,Tyenna.

woody-wood
    Participant

Red Maple,

I cannot comment on the Centric but have a Scott G Series 9’ 5wt and a Scott Radian 9’ 6wt. Totally different rods.

The G Series is perfect for a dry or dry/dropper rod for delicate presentations to selective fish. The rod bends deep into the blank when fighting fish and excels with a relaxed casting style. I fish this with a SA Mastery Textured Trout line.

The Radian is a lot faster than the GS. It is perfect for when the wind gets up, a point and shoot casting style for sighted cruising fish, or fishing a couple of tungsten nymphs under an indicator. Tip bends when fighting big fish but not the bottom 2/3 rds. This helps when you need to put pressure on fish in fast water. I fish this with a RIO Intouch Gold line.

Both fantastic rods but each suited for slightly different applications. But both rods are more than capable of using for everything. However you don’t play golf with only one club, and you can never have too many rods. Just don’t ask my wife that though.

Georgie
    Participant

Hello forum. I am hoping to get feedback on your thoughts of the new Scott Centric. Particularly in 5 weight and 6 weight.

How does it compare to the Radian ?

What line are you using?

Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

I was recently lucky enough to use a 6wt Centric over a four day period casting big streamers at big trout. While I can’t compare it to a Radian I have used other Scott’s and have never been a fan. The Centric though from the moment I picked it up just felt bloody good. It is light, easy to cast, powerful and most importantly for me fun to cast. I know everyone is different and we all look for different things in rods, but I would buy one tonight if I could.
    Andrew

seanh
    Participant

I’ve got the 7 weight Centric and love it. Use it light estuary work. i run a titan taper in 7wt over it and it can easily cast the full line.

Nog
    Participant

However you don’t play golf with only one club, and you can never have too many rods. Just don’t ask my wife that though.

My wife has just taken up golf, so I’m all good right?

micmac3701
    Participant

However you don’t play golf with only one club, and you can never have too many rods. Just don’t ask my wife that though. My wife has just taken up golf, so I’m all good right?

Note to self buy wife a set of golf clubs for Xmas – gold gentleman 24 carat!

orangefly80
    Participant

I have the Scott Centric 6 weight and had a radian 5 weight. So far the Centric feels like a beautiful rod to cast but as yet i haven’t taking it out on the water (will be this weekend). I found the Radian too fast and unforgiving but this centric feels as good but more controlled and precise particularly at shorter ranges. I would use the centric for double nymph rigs, streamers etc.

I am looking at getting a Scott G series 5 weight to go with my Centric for NZ trips (if that ever happens) and for larger Australian rivers. If anyone has a Scott G series 5 they are looking at possibly offloading please contact me.

Hopefully that helps

Red Maple
    Participant

So, I ended up with the 906 Centric.

I tested both the 905 and 906. My thoughts are on a wiggle test , that the 905 has a stiff bottom third with a wobbly tip. The 906 flexes top of the blank and the bottom of the blank. . I’m not a professional, but this is what I observed.

l test casted both , I probably preferred the 905. Both excellent. I went the 906 to compliment my 885 g series.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.