Tackle Talk Sage Trout LL or Scott GS for NZ

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mark
    Participant

Hi

Will a Sage Trout LL or Scott GS in 5/6 wt handle the bigger double nymph rigs required in the NZ backcountry. I have cast a Sage Trout LL and really liked the medium/fast action but it was only in a parking lot and with a bit of yarn tied on so am wondering if the rod will have the power to handle the heavier rigs, dry dropper or double nymph rigs ?

Thanks

woody-wood
    Participant

Mark,

I have a 9’ 5wt Scott G Series and it casts a dry dropper with no worries. It really excels as a dry rod. For a double Nymph rig I use a 9’ 6wt Scott Radian in NZ only due to personal preference.

Mark
    Participant

Mark,

I have a 9’ 5wt Scott G Series and it casts a dry dropper with no worries. It really excels as a dry rod. For a double Nymph rig I use a 9’ 6wt Scott Radian in NZ only due to personal preference.

Thanks for the reply, had a cast of a sage LL on the weekend, think I’m leaning that way now. Either way both are beautiful rods.

wardy
    Participant

Did you factor in casting into strong wind? Its been many  years since I fished NZ but choosing a rod that had that ability to punch tandem rigs into strong winds was a factor back then, and I assume that’s still the case now. My gut feeling is I would be looking for something a little more punchy than a LL or a Scott G series if I was going to take a rod into the NZ back-country.

Mark
    Participant

Did you factor in casting into strong wind? Its been many years since I fished NZ but choosing a rod that had that ability to punch tandem rigs into strong winds was a factor back then, and I assume that’s still the case now. My gut feeling is I would be looking for something a little more punchy than a LL or a Scott G series if I was going to take a rod into the NZ back-country.

Thanks for the info. This will be my second rod for smaller water as I already have a radian 6wt.

squish
    Participant

I have both the LL and the G Series in stock here, you are welcome to cast both side by side if you are able to visit Benalla.

The 905 G Series would make the perfect little brother to your 6wt Radian IMO.

Cheers

Darren @ Untamed Flies and Tackle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.