Casting & Competition roll casting

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author

codfather
    Participant

i’m back. i’m ready to shell out for new line but i’m torn between the rio single spey and the snowbee rollcast that hirdy suggested. the snowbee is quite a bit cheaper and as hirdy mentioned it has a longer body. will the longer body be more conducive to helping a learner?

the roll casting has improved a little but i can definitely see why a weight forward line hampers rollcasting. your trying to throw a loop in the body of the line which is thinner and has less mass and when that energy hits the thicker front portion it has the energy sucked out by the inertia of the extra mass.

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

buy both. flog the one you don’t like.

personally, I’d get the rio… but I’m also very biased.

cheers,

shawn

oldpiscator
    Participant

Single hand spey lines are great especially on a 10ft rod. Can’t comment on the Snowbee rollcast one.

codfather
    Participant

my 9ft rod length is certainly something to be considered. perhaps that’s not long enough to take advantage of the longer belly on the snowbee???

oldpiscator
    Participant

9ft should be fine with either line.

codfather
    Participant

well i took the plunge and got the rio single hand spey.

first impression- totally different. immediate improvement in roll casting. with the limited time i’ve had to be on the water to practice i’ve been able to do some snake rolls ok. more practice will see more improvement.

some things i’ve noticed. heavy flies wreak havoc with roll/spey casting. i had on a mouse fly for bass and while it was ok, when i took it off and had just the leader….WOW! with smaller flies for carp and trout it will be awesome.

the other thoughts i’ve had about cod- usually i have bush behind me that limits back casting which lead me down this roll casting path. however the heavy, wind resistant flies just don’t roll cast and i’ve come to realise that the roll/spey cast for cod is defeated anyway by the fact that the fly is usually stripped in very close which leaves little to no line outside the rod tip with which to perform a roll/spey cast.

i’ll keep the 10#WF line for big flies should i find the spey line lacking. but for everything else, the spey line is hands down more enjoyable to use.

thanks for the help everyone!

codfather
    Participant

some other stuff i’m confused about- skagit setups.

from what i can gather, they are a short heavy WF head for tossing large flys. from what i’ve seen on youtube they cast a million times better than my WF line. why can the skagit setups roll cast ok but not the conventional WF line i have?

had me thinking that perhaps a skagit head would allow me to roll cast cod flys….as someone suggested on this thread.

or are what steelhead fishermen call ‘big’ flies not so big when compared to cod flys???

woody-wood
    Participant

The bigger the fly the heavier the line required to turn them over.

Skagit casts require the tip (mow tip) and the short leader to anchor the cast to load the rod during the forward stroke.

I might be mistaken but I believe the Single Hand Spey line is a Scandi line profile not suited for turning over large or heavy flies.

I am just getting into the double hand game but have a 11 ft 6wt switch rod with a 420gr skagit line and floating 10 ft tip to cast 4/0 dalbergs for cod. Wrong time of year to judge results in NE Vic atm but can get it out there. Also casting a 380gr Scandi line for Trout flies.

Still early days for me but Jimmy, Mitch and Rampart are pretty proficient with the 2handers.

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

it sounds to me like you could use 10min of an hour’s casting lesson.

anyone nearby?

cheers,

shawn

codfather
    Participant

not sure, haven’t looked into it. i’m in Stanthorpe, QLD

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

I should look up where Stanthorpe is precisely.  You might find a switch chucker works even better for you. It will haul out and toss a pretty big piece of junk. I fish these speys and their confusing lines right up to my boat all the time. Just dump out the head with a few big sweeping mends right in front of the boat. That pretty much sets up a Perry Poke all ready to fire off. Other times I roll cast the head out to its full length then do a single spey.

If all else fails, Tassie is nice, and I do have a big selection of lines to play with.

Good luck, don’t be afraid to ask questions.  Cheers…Jimmy

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.