Tackle Talk Removing leader / fly line memory

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

djpalmer88
    Participant

Hi there, I’ve setup a rod for saltwater, 8wt I termediate scientific angler line with 12lb leader. The trouble is the line practically coils back to how it was on the original spool as you pull it out, like small loops ontop of each other.

I’ve tried putting the line in hot water and stretching it which helps a little bit but it would definitely still affect casting.

Is it the nature of heavier lines or have I wound it onto the reel wrong, any help would be awesome.

Cheers.

taupofish
    Participant

I once had a similar problem in my early days fishing NZ and was told that the only way to get rid of the kinks is to get some decent fish on the line and they will straighten it out – correct! worked liked a charm…. problem solved!

dynaflow
    Participant

Here’s a method that’s always worked for me.Unroll the line all the way out,and starting with the end that attaches to the reel (i.e.the thinnest end) stand gently on the line,then lift the fly line up and outwards from your body,stretching the line by up to 12 feet increments as you work your way down to the front (head) of the line.So eight or nine times should be enough for a 100′ line. A long carpeted hallway will make this job easier.Hope this makes sense and good luck!

P.S.I never put fly lines in hot water.

P.P.S.Is the line a Cold Water salt line?

DrGraham
    Participant

When I started fly fishing 40 years ago, lines typically developed a memory during the off season, or other long periods away from the water.  A good stretch at the start of fishing was usually all that was required to remove the memory.  I’ve used a method similar to that of dynaflow and taupofish’s method certainly worked. My fishing mentor had a ritual on the first fishing day of the season, tying the old leader to a fence post, walking out the full length of fly line and giving it a couple of good tugs.  Modern fly lines are more supple, better cores and PVC coating, and less likely to carry a memory.  Manufacturers recommend a gentle stretch if necessary.  I find few good casts is usually good enough.

I’m assuming you are using the right line for the right conditions, i.e. not trying to use a warm water line in cold conditions.  If stretching hasn’t removed the memory, then there might be a problem with the line due to a number of causes.

• Cheap fly lines tend to be stiffer, but Scientific Angler is a quality line.
    • The line has been mistreated, or not stored properly, e.g. I wouldn’t buy a line that’s been on display in a shop window.
    • Manufacturing fault, e.g. wrong core, wrong PVC mix – very rare, but can happen.
    • The plasticiser in the PVC has hardened with age or poor treatment – quite likely.

No amount of stretching or application of fly line cleaner/dressing will fix a dud line.  The only option is to replace it.  I primarily use Rio lines – another top manufacturer – but I had an InTouch Gold 5 wt line that felt like stiff wire compared to my equivalent 6 wt line.  I replaced it with another InTouch Gold and the new line is supple as it should be.  An 8wt is obviously heavier and will be slightly stiffer, but should supple enough and not carry a memory.

I wonder if you are also experiencing line twist.  That’s a different issue.  It’s not fixed by stretching but is easy to fix.  I get rid of twists by making several casts without a fly.

Have a look at the following video which explains how to get rid of memory and twists.  S2 E4 How To Avoid Twist in your Fly Line – YouTube

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

I have to wonder how long the fly line was in the shop before you bought it. I had the experience of buying one that while brand spanking new had been sitting unwanted for quite a while. I tried every trick known to mankind and the wretched thing still behaved like an overspun wire rope. It ended up in the raspberry patch… in short lengths.

Just a guess… good luck anyhow and let us know if you find a solution.

Cheers…Jimmy

ANDREW
    Participant

Intermediate fly lines come with either braid or monofilament core (used in clear fly lines).

Monofilament core lines tend to suffer from greater coil memory.

Braided core lines are more supple with little or no coil memory and obviously very low stretch.

peejay
    Participant

I have always used a bit of old inner tyre tube rubber to get rid of leader memory. Hold the end of the leader attached to the flyline tight, wrap the rubber reasonable tightly around the leader, and run it down to the other end. Might need to 2 goes, but works a treat.

peejay

dynaflow
    Participant

I think the OP is more concerned with solving coiling of the Fly line than straightening a leader,and you should also be careful using tyre rubber as the leader can heat up quite quickly,reducing its strength…pulling the leader/tippet through your fingers a few times while stretching it is a more secure option.YMMV.

peejay
    Participant

Fair comment Dynaflow. However, I have been using tyre rubber this way for 55+ years, and never had a problem as a result. And I am talking about very light weight leaders.

djpalmer88
    Participant

Thanks for the responses all. I am wondering whether the line I bought is not suitable for the current climate here (Sydney). I’ve ordered another intermediate line for temperate climates so I’ll see how that goes.

dynaflow
    Participant

I suspected that when I mentioned it in my initial reply.Good luck and let us know how you get on mate.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.