Rod Building reels seats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Ados
    Participant

Another rod building question:

I am building a 6’6 3 wt on a MHX blank. I’m looking at reel seats and grips was wondering what kind of reel seat and grip to put on the blank.

Was thinking something like this from Rodworks :[url:26x1ig6a]https://www.therodworks.com.au/fishing-rods/rod-building-supplies/reel-seats/fly_53f5a4c745b6c/freeway-aluminium-fly-reel-seat-aw-s-detail.html[/url:26x1ig6a] and for a grip [url:26x1ig6a]https://www.therodworks.com.au/fishing-rods/rod-building-supplies/components/grips/cork/freeway-half-well-cork-grip-hw-1-4-3-8-detail.html[/url:26x1ig6a]

Would these be a good combo? I don’t think the grip is recessed but not sure if it matters to the function of the rod to accommodate the fixed hood of the uplocking seat – only aesthetics I assume?

Any suggestions from experienced rod builders here?

Cheers

Adrian

ANDREW
    Participant

In my opinion you better put on much simpler and lighter
    reel seat for for twig.
    Something like this:
    http://theanglersroost.com/products/rod … reel-seat/

or like one on my fiberglass twig

Ados
    Participant
    quote ANDREW:

In my opinion you better put on much simpler and lighter
    reel seat for for twig.
    Something like this:
    http://theanglersroost.com/products/rod … reel-seat/

or like one on my fiberglass twig

Nice rod there! I like the simplicity of that reel seat/rings. Did you get yours from the US? can you get them in OZ? Was the grip an after-market one too?
    thanks for the help

cheers

Adrian

ANDREW
    Participant

I didn’t build it. It is Cabelas CRG 5’9" 3wt
    Fibreglass I bought on this forum. Perfect for small
    Streams.

David Anderson
    Participant

Also have a look at Harfin reel seats – they’re Australian and beautiful.
    [url:1c68w74f]http://www.harfinflyreels.com/harfin-fly-reel-seats.html[/url:1c68w74f]

Ben E
    Participant

I always go with nickle silver slide bands and cork like the one above or a downlocking sliding band with cup of some sought and timber insert. Check out the lemke lc14 a garrison style sliding band or lc16 a mortised sliding band. They are made from plated aluminium so there is little weight. Similar reel seats can be found from bellinger in nickel silver. If you do insist on going with a threaded seat make sure it is aluminium and not nickel silver or the cheaper nickel silver plated brass. These reel seats have quite a bit more weight which will be noticeable on such a light blank. As to recessing the hood it does make a small difference to the feel of the rod but 99% of fisherman will never be able to tell. Basically the further up the rod your hand is placed the faster it feels (even though the action is technically getting slower). As it is only half an inch or so it shouldn’t be noticeable.

Ben

Ados
    Participant
    quote Ben E:

I always go with nickle silver slide bands and cork like the one above or a downlocking sliding band with cup of some sought and timber insert. Check out the lemke lc14 a garrison style sliding band or lc16 a mortised sliding band. They are made from plated aluminium so there is little weight. Similar reel seats can be found from bellinger in nickel silver. If you do insist on going with a threaded seat make sure it is aluminium and not nickel silver or the cheaper nickel silver plated brass. These reel seats have quite a bit more weight which will be noticeable on such a light blank. As to recessing the hood it does make a small difference to the feel of the rod but 99% of fisherman will never be able to tell. Basically the further up the rod your hand is placed the faster it feels (even though the action is technically getting slower). As it is only half an inch or so it shouldn’t be noticeable.

Ben

Thanks Ben. checked out Bellinger – lovely seats but out of my price range being over half the price of the blank itself. Maybe when I use a more high end blank like an Epic or CTS. or even bamboo in the near future.

I can’t seem to find the cork reel seats with the bands. What about this one? – http://theanglersroost.com/products/rodbuilding-accessories/reel-seats/black-anodized-aluminum-slide-band-downock-reel-seat1/

Ados
    Participant

Any thoughts on this reel seat from ebay? [url:5rqtsbdg]http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FLY-ROD-REEL-SEAT-Bamboo-1312-Nickel-Silver-Double-Slide-Band-/371455441344?hash=item567c7839c0:g:cv8AAOSwNgxWEB0u[/url:5rqtsbdg]

Thought it would go well with my 6’6 blank

sleepy
    Participant

Ados, not sure where you’re located but, if you’re committed to a ‘wooden reel seat, why don’t you find a woodturner to turn you up one from Australian timber and buy the hardware from Mudhole/Bellinger/etc? Or from what I’ve read, the hardware from RL Reel seats is pretty good so for the price just buy the hardware from him.

Ados
    Participant
    quote sleepy:

Ados, not sure where you’re located but, if you’re committed to a ‘wooden reel seat, why don’t you find a woodturner to turn you up one from Australian timber and buy the hardware from Mudhole/Bellinger/etc? Or from what I’ve read, the hardware from RL Reel seats is pretty good so for the price just buy the hardware from him.

Hi Sleepy, thanks for the info. I think im over thinking this. Its my first build and I don’t want to make things complicated. I’ll just go with a run of the mill wood insert uplocking reel seat and pre made cigar or halfwells cork grip. Some good priced ones coming from US.

Ben E
    Participant

I am familiar with those reel seats on ebay. I actually think they are great for the price. Bamboo even after been impregnated with resin is relatively light. I actually have a tassy blackwood insert on a 3 weight and I don’t notice it’s there so as long as you don’t put a huge lump of mallee or iron bark on there I don’t think you’ll have a problem. The only thing I forgot to mention is don’t take nickel silver near salt.

Ados
    Participant
    quote Ben E:

I am familiar with those reel seats on ebay. I actually think they are great for the price. Bamboo even after been impregnated with resin is relatively light. I actually have a tassy blackwood insert on a 3 weight and I don’t notice it’s there so as long as you don’t put a huge lump of mallee or iron bark on there I don’t think you’ll have a problem. The only thing I forgot to mention is don’t take nickel silver near salt.

Are there any problems associated with the ring band design on these seats ? I.e. will they hold the reel tightly enough?

tjhce
    Participant

Just get a small unlocking seat. The weight factor is bugger all difference.
    Too much wank, not enough spank.

Ados
    Participant
    quote [email protected]:

Just get a small unlocking seat. The weight factor is bugger all difference.
    Too much wank, not enough spank.

yep – that’s a roger. Going to keep it simple.

tjhce
    Participant

UP locking, I mean.
    An unlocking seat would not be a good thing šŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.