Tackle Talk Reel for G. T. s

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

swanie
    Participant

If, and when we are ever allowed out of Victoria I want to have a serious crack at a serious G. T.  I’ve have caught smaller models, around the five pound mark and the Galvan T8 did a sterling job, but have been told any reel for larger Geet’s needs to have a captive screw down nut to hold the spool on rather than the clip on variety.  Yes? No? I own a ten weight and a twelve Sage xi3 so recon those rods are up to the task.  Now I, am whittling away the daughters inheritance here, but have convinced myself she will some how be be bitten by the fly fishing bug once I cark it so price is not a limiting factor. What say you, the good readers of Flylife. Thanks in advance.

spud1
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

sprat
    Participant

Any heavy duty fly reel from a reputable brand will do the job – Penn 4 G, Tibor, Abel, Billy Pate, Shilton, Hayden etc.

wyldone
    Participant

Hi mate,

I have the Hatch 11+ that I run on a 12wt… serious bit on kit.

For the 10wt, a Hatch 9+ would suit.

Another reel I’d definately consider would be a Harfin.

Having said that, I’m yet to connect to one…

oldpiscator
    Participant

Any heavy duty fly reel from a reputable brand will do the job – Penn 4 G, Tibor, Abel, Billy Pate, Shilton, Hayden etc.

Funniest thing I saw at CXI was when a friend hooked up on a small Tuna using his Shilton reel and the screws holding the reel foot on worked loose. Result one lost tuna and much swearing and application of superglue to screws that night.

sprat
    Participant

Yep – user error would be main failure with any decent reel. Has to be basic maintenance done especially as GTs will always find the weak point.

My biggest GT lost was user error – I didn’t check for weak point in my fly line and that’s what snapped…was an old line.

bpmick
    Participant

Nautilus CCf x2 10/12

Chris Beech
    Participant

If I were buying a reel for GT, these would be on my list

Orvis Mirage

Harfin LR110W (#10 weight only)

Sage Spectrum Max

Hatch

Lamson Cobalt

Depending on budget…

dynaflow
    Participant

Lots of opinions here….but how deep are your pockets? If this is only an occasional indulgence I’d save money and get a Redington Behemoth.A 9/10 would do the job.Massive drag and backing capacity plus Redington’s famous warranty.Keep it out of the water as the drag isn’t sealed.

oldpiscator
    Participant

+1 on the Behemoth if it isn’t going to used all the time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.