Talking Tactics Port Phillip Bay and Surrounds

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Theophilus
    Participant

Hello all,

While the 25km restrictions remain in place in Melbourne, one might as well try and make to most of local fishing. I’ve taken to fishing a section of Gardiners Creek five minutes from home, which is a most welcome break from work and home life.

Has anyone fished the bay? Places like Sandringham seem like they might be suitable for some fly fishing, but I’ve never heard of anyone actually trying it. With the weather warming, it’s probably not the best time to consider fishing these locales, but there aren’t many options available for the time being.

Chris Beech
    Participant

I used to fish from shore around Sandringham marina. There’s a car park near the yacht club, and a cafe for pies and coffee near the beach. Plenty of flathead and bream around the marina – I’ve even caught KG whiting there on the sand flats. Salmon in the marina channel, bream around structure etc. Don’t go there with a floating line – use at least an intermediate,  #7 or #8 weight flies from #2 Clousers and candies up to #1/0. Bream and whiting will take little wormy bonefish files,  and bream love BMS style flies and tiny crabs.

Other places in the bay  from shore, target edges of weed beds and where sand meets rock or groynes. Even sand bars and channels.

I was on the bay yesterday giving the boat a run,  water quality is pretty average due to recent rains – couldn’t even get a flattie on plastics.

Theophilus
    Participant

Thanks Chris,

I’ll give it a go once I receive the new clear intermediate line that I ordered. I also have some shooting heads for my new 11ft switch coming, so the sinking one could also be of use.

Chris Beech
    Participant

Shooting heads will be great banging out casts for salmon in the channel or off the groynes.

Theophilus
    Participant

Have crowds, passers-by or swimmers been much of an issue for you over there? Ideally one could wade far enough into the water to make room for backcasts.

Chris Beech
    Participant

Absolutely.  You have to check before every cast. We used to be there at daybreak so we could get 2-3 hours relatively uninterrupted.  Onlookers will gather right behind you gawking  and will tell you there is no trout in there.

Used to fish Beaumauris Bay wading out on the sand fingers. Dog walkers won’t bother you there, but shuffle your feet there’s a lot of stingrays in the corner near the cliffs.

Gerard
    Participant

Hi Chris,

This is terrific information for me as I haven’t fished in these locations before and I’d like to.

Obviously you need some room for back cast etc; thinking that you would try to not get too close to the Beaumaris motor squadron cliffs and as well as outside the marine sanctuary.

Could you pin down some locations please, and what species do you target at BB?

Also, have you fished greens point before?

Cheers, Gerard

Theophilus
    Participant

Thanks again Chris,

Having done a fair bit of casting practice in my local park, I’m all too familiar with smart comments from passers-by. Them and general crowds are the main things that have kept me from trying local bay areas, but sometimes one needs to be a bit more resourceful and find some spots that can be accessed after work.

Chris Beech
    Participant

I mostly was targeting flathead and salmon. First thing in the morning an 8am low tide was best for flatties. Salmon started appearing on the run in, unless they had bait up against the beach/cliffs. You should fish parallel to the cliffs, along the edges. Sorry, I won’t give you all the spot X’s – you can go find out for yourselves or read the back issues.

Theophilus
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>You’ve provided more than enough helpful information Chris, so thanks again for all the help.</p>
    It’ll be a another couple of weeks until all my lines arrive, so I probably will be confined to the creek in the meantime.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.