Travel Talk Port Douglas

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Granny
    Participant

Hi All

I’ll be in Port Douglas in October this year.  I will be looking to cast a line and hopefully catch a Barra or some other local species.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good charter operator or give me some tips if I wanted to look after myself?

Obviously I would like to avoid getting eaten by crocs🤣

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Craig

Dave Bradley
    Participant

We have a couple of guides that live in Cairns, might be available across your dates.

[email protected]

Granny
    Participant

Thanks Dave

nick.bowler
    Participant

There is a previous thread on Palm Cove that is relevant.  My experience was that shore based fishing was poor and probably risky.  You will need a guide with a boat.

Granny
    Participant

Thanks Nick

big dave
    Participant

Been a couple of times. Had a little success on the southern end of 4 mile beach, pulling small (size 4 and smaller) clousers. I found it best when the tide  was high first thing in the morning. Mostly just small trevally and queenies, but I did have have a brief encounter with a small barra there. If you have a long cast, there was a fair bit of action just beyond my range; bit of nervous water and lots of splashing. I did manage a couple of better trevally off the rocks at the northern end of the beach. The fishing I was doing would have been fine with trout gear.

Granny
    Participant

Thanks Dave.

I’ve found info on land based fishing in the beach and marina wall.

I have now booked a guide who operates on the Russell and Mulgrave rivers.

I hope the weather is kind.

Cheers

Granny

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.