Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

stevel
    Participant

Thanks for the email Jimmy, but I also sent you 2 private replies with my email on it. Did you see these?

Incoming email!

Cheers,

Steve

woody-wood
    Participant

How do I contact someone on the forum without creating a new topic with please contact me.

Can we email Flylife to pass on a message?

Chief
    Participant

Woody until you get a formal response as you created the Gathering thread any PR’s will go to you on that thread

Leighton Adem
    Keymaster

Chief is correct.

You can only generate private responses to a thread.

Direct correspondence between forum members needs to be arranged through traditional methods outside of the forum.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Well…. Before I simply launch into asking all and sundry personnel for their email address, I need some guidance and clarity of understanding regarding security. I am guessing Chief and certainly Warnsey  might have some of the answers, and it is clearly Leighton’s call overall but I still have a couple ….. reservations.

Prior to these most recent changes, the forum platform has in effect operated like a cut out switch. If this was money rather than email traffic it would be like an escrow service. The cut out switch insulated all the forum contributors from hacks or perhaps even the odd phishing expedition ( Pun Intended).  Flylife carried the security burden on our behalf.

So now in order to even begin to assemble the details and requirements involved in the planning of another Gathering, it will be necessary to start a thread and just collect every interested parties email address. That in turn will have all Forumites interconnected and communicating directly via their contacts list.  Now I am pretty sure MY anti virus pills are working but I cant help but wonder about the rest. Our cut out switch is gone. Previously I could vet players somewhat before exchanging emails but now its kissing on the first date.

As users is our security risk now elevated? Do we as individuals need to strengthen our techno defences? I just keep seeing those weird    ” cx.v4fn4398ff4nb8smelly socks”       sort of posts lurking darkly in the corners of my memories of this Forum. I often wondered how Flylife handled those. What happens if someone really seriously gets aggravated or offended or something weird?  Just ‘BLOCK SENDER’ ??? and burn them off?   or maybe just sell the meta-data to the highest bidder.

Just asking…… I am not very well educated in this area. I could use some help here.

Cheers…Jimmy

BarryJ
    Participant

If you are sending emails to multiple recipients, it is always good practice to enter YOUR email address in the To: field and then enter all the other addresses (or a group email list etc) in the BCC: field. That way, each recipient only sees your email address in the From: field and their email address in the To: field in their copy of the email; none of the other addresses appear so group privacy is maintained.

stevel
    Participant

Jimmy,

I’m not sure how secure a PM system is, I guess if large corporations like FB and a US DOD’s can be hacked then I’d say not very. If you were exchanging info like financial data with them, then that’s a risk if someone hacked the PM system.

The proposal I guess is something like someone makes the initial post requesting each participant to make a private reply which only the post creator will see, with a mobile phone number so that a separate WhatsApp (or other secure encrypted channel) can be started. A bit painful as you will have to have a separate channel/chat for every participant, and if it’s a large group then hard to manage. Financial details could then be sent over these chats without fear of being decrypted.

Secure email is possible but not sure how accessible it is or if there are any free ones. I just got one from my ex-accountant with documents sent over a secure email service.

Cheers,

Steve

Just doing a quick google I see some services eg https://www.stayprivate.com/packages.html which are free for the individual. How secure these are I don’t kow but definitely safer than regular plain vanilla email

Here’s another which looks pretty good: https://protonmail.com/about

Just set up a free protonmail email account in 5 minutes, with various paid for options, but the free one looks sufficient for now. It has an ios/android app so you can send/receive on your phone.

BarryJ
    Participant

I probably should have added to my earlier post that back in the dim distant past when I organised the first gathering my preferred method of contact was email. I found back then (and up until the demise of PMs) that the PM system(s) have always been clunky and impractical to use (no attachments for example) and usually difficult to send to multiple recipients.

Chief
    Participant

Unfortunately Jimmy, as discussed at the Gathering the only possibility is to post the NEW Gathering post and as part of it ask folks to reply with an email address and use the “Set this as private reply” option.  Less than ideal but all we have.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Ok then… That is about what I expected to hear. I kinda like Barry’s suggestion with the BCC option helping to provide some level of smoke and mirrors for all the players. I will try my best but there is a high chance I will screw the pooch somewhere along the way. Thanks lads for your input.

Cheers…Jimmy

woody-wood
    Participant

With regard to PM’s it appears when someone sends a PM to the originator then the topic disappears from my latest posts view. Anyone else noticing this?

The privacy issue with the old PM’s seemed a lot better than now. To view the forum you don’t need to be signed in as a member so any phone number or email address posted is now public on the WWW. At least the old way you could contact someone without making your details public.

BarryJ
    Participant

With regard to PM’s it appears when someone sends a PM to the originator then the topic disappears from my latest posts view. Anyone else noticing this?

A similar thing happened to me last night (ie the topic disappeared from my Latest Topics list) but I just posted a “normal” reply in the Gathering 2020 thread.

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

My point precisely Ladies and Gentlemen. Meta data I believe it is called. A deliberate concentration of contacts. Its no wonder law enforcement always heads for the computers. Businesses it just love it as well. Makes the Gathering planning a bit complicated.  Perhaps code names do have a historical basis after all.

It bothers me somewhat.

Jimmy

jimmyellenberger
    Participant

Bugger… It just happened to me as well. I just edited my original post about the Gathering and it didn’t register as a recent post. Soooo… nobody knows I am editing the players list or info unless they just happen to know how it rolls. Awkward.

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

2021 is gonna suck for someone in nsw.

you could sell our details to the new gathering sucker.

I meant organiser.

cheers,

wa safe but skint from flight fees

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.