Travel Talk Penstock Lagoon and Little Pine heads up

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

DrGraham
    Participant

If you are planning to head to those lakes this weekend, you may want to postpone your trip.  Both lakes froze over last night.  Liawenee had a record -14.2° last and Penstock was about -10.  My experience is that it takes a few days for the ice to melt, however subzero temperatures and light winds are forecast for the next three nights at least, which may consolidate the ice.  The day before was magic, sunny with light southerly at Penstock.

flylife

Seem to remember surviving similar (and some would say colder) conditions at Liawenee back in 1983 when there was no weather station up top to record the pain. Two kids under 4 and another on the way. Toilet bowl (inside) froze solid and water in our concrete tank outside froze too. Had to light a fire against the tank to restore water flow to the house!

flylife

Or I could tell you about the time I rescued a helicopter load of Antarctic expeditioners (heading out to Augusta) when their chopper had to put down at Little Pine in a blizzard. Combi van fitted with chains did the job!

DrGraham
    Participant

I remember Paul Cramp and I dropped in to see you at Liawenee in August ’81.  You gave us a couple of rabbit fur flies and sent us off to the Long Shore at Bronte to chase froggers.  We damn near froze that night under clear skies, and there was a substantial skirt of ice around the lake next morning.

DrGraham
    Participant

It probably was long after that event that the AAD stopped using their Bernacchi  lodge at Lake Augusta because there wasn’t enough consistent snow for field training.

oldpiscator
    Participant

Stopped being used for Antarctic training in 1999 as far as I can recall.

DrGraham
    Participant

Bernacchi was officially “closed” in 1999, but that was more due to the government of the day selling of its property assets, and then in most cases leasing them back (Monty Python’s Meaning of Life?).   The AAD stopped using Bernacchi for actual field training long before that, mid-80s from my memory.   Lack of snowfall and the fact that the central plateau bore no real resemblance to the conditions on the Antarctic continent meant it was of little use, although it did reflect Macquarie Island conditions.  Ice/snow field training basically shifted to the Antarctic stations with Field Training Officers.  Bernacchi was used occasionally for the selection of Station Leaders, and sometimes by Defence.

flylife

Became a very handy fishing camp for the army boys for a few years. Frank Hickling, John Opi and co.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.