Talking Tactics Pedal Kayaks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

garygreene
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about getting a pedal kayak. Anyone out there with experience? Being a cheapskate I’ve been looking at the Pedalfish 10. I’d be using it on lakes and would love to be able to stand if the water was calm and polaroid the edges…thinking lakes in Tassie. Any thoughts?

Butt Head
    Participant

Maybe you could buy a second hand Hobie or Native Watercraft for what you would pay for a Pedalfish 10. The resale value would certainly be much better on a Hobie or similar. As for standing up, you may be able to stand up briefly on a Pedalfish 10, or even on some of the smaller Hobies, but I wouldn’t want to be casting while standing on anything smaller than a very stable kayak like a Hobie PA14.

I have owned and used a variety of pedal powered kayaks over the years. I was able to stand on my old model Hobie Outback, but I was pretty shaky and I wouldn’t want to be casting. I currently own a 12′ Native Watercraft Propel, which is fairly stable, but I wouldn’t try to cast from it while standing, since I tipped it over twice, the last time I tried.

You might have better balance than I have though.

garygreene
    Participant

Thanks for the tip (no pun intended). I’m not rushing into it. I’ve been using a float tube for years but I’d like to be able to cover more water.

Cheers

pippafish
    Participant

FYI I have a Malibu Sierra 10, powered by paddle not pedal, but I do heaps of fly fishing out of it on lakes. Heaps. And love it.

Google Malibu Sierra 10 for images. There are other, similar brands/models. A larger cockpit on a sit-in allows for better flexibility with gear and to stand up. I’ve had sit-on kayaks but much prefer sit-in as they provide better protection from chop etc. Plus lower centre of gravity means you can stand up (little bit of practice first, bit like a SUP) in it to cast/fish. Second hand cost approx $350 and I haven’t found paddling (vs pedalling) to be a negative at all. In fact, everything is very clean, simple, uncluttered (less catching points for fly-line too). I often choose between a conical sea anchor or a regular (“Cooper”) anchor. Or just tie up to reeds, trees etc. The sea anchor allows a good drift for loch style.  Generally best to fix your anchor line directly off the point of the stern so as to hang directly away from the point. Otherwise, you get a sideways drift which can be frustrating IMHO. I have a Railblaza fitting for a rod holder which I use to store/secure fly rod when paddling, or for a second rod rigged differently. Paddle gets secured along side of kayak using the shock-cord holder when fishing. I find 7′ – 8′ rods far better than longer as the risk of damaging the rods is far less, from high-sticking when landing a fish, for sorting tangles at tip-end, and rod tip is less exposed to trees and other stuff if on a lake, river etc.

Hope that helps…

Craig
    Participant

Hey mate, I saw your post and can give a vote on getting the pedalfish 10.  I’ve had mine nearly 2 years and give it a lot of work on the dams and creeks around Brisbane. It is quite beamy so standing and casting is easy enough as long as you don’t jump around too much. If I could change one thing I wish it was a bit longer for ease of loading onto the car.

Craig
    Participant

Hey mate, I saw your post and can give a vote on getting the pedalfish 10.  I’ve had mine nearly 2 years and give it a lot of work on the dams and creeks around Brisbane. It is quite beamy so standing and casting is easy enough as long as you don’t jump around too much. If I could change one thing I wish it was a bit longer for ease of loading onto the car.

garygreene
    Participant

Thanks Pippafish and Craig. Your responses are much appreciated. I’ll check out the Malibu Sierra 10.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.