Travel Talk northern snowy mountains

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Nigelpen
    Participant

:??? Just fishing for current reports … fishing next weekend,euc, tanty, jindy: and i willreciprocate post trip, of course.
    Nigel

madfisher
    Participant

Nigel check out Col Sinclairs report at Adaminidy angler. Apparrantly the fishing has picked up.We are going to Tantangra on Friday, so if you see a white Jackaroo or Blue Berrmuda, with Blue Etec call over for a yarn. We may hit the top of Euc for a day as well.
    Cheers Pete

royceshanks
    Participant

Pete

i’ll be down there first week of May any chance you will be down there then?

madfisher
    Participant
    quote royceshanks:

Pete

i’ll be down there first week of May any chance you will be down there then?

No mate, hard enough getting next week off, shame though. Have you checked out the top of the Turon yet.
    Cheers Pete

Nigelpen
    Participant

Thanks Pete we’ll look out for you. Cols still in new zilland cutchin fush isn’t he?
    Nigel

royceshanks
    Participant

not yet Pete, theres been a lot of water down it in the last 3 weeks I was going to check the crudine out again as the last time I was up there there werwe some big well conditioned bows! Fancy arranging a short trip up there after Easter????

madfisher
    Participant

Nigel he is back, their is a fresh pictorial report up. Royce some of those Crudine fish whetre crackers, especially if you found a hole with only one bow in it. I picked up the best stream bow in 20 years up, well over 2kg. However I dont like their chances of surviving the extreme heat we had in Jan. But the Browns should have hung in up the top of the turon. Trip sounds good, lots of water up their.
    Cheers Pete

greenfish
    Participant

Visited Tantangara during a huge squall and decide to go down below to check out the river and get out of the wind . The water has been turned off and it lookes as though " high " tide was about six hours before with plenty of wet mud banks but there were lots of fish in the holes and shallow runs , I hooked five ( one may have made the 6lb mark ) but didnt land one , the only thing I did manage to land was a duck that took off and run the line over its leg and the fly stayed stuck fast in his leg . Saturday evening the wind dropped to a gentle roar so we hit the lake again about 1 hour before dark for four fish , one nice brown and two average rainbows and one small brown . Sunday morning picked up another two trout up in the river arm . Be good if they opened the valve below the dam a turn or two to keep the fish going . Quite a few snakes about amongst the tussocks . Tantangara looks brilliant , a few trollers up in the river arm were pulling a few fish . Took my mate over to Providence Portal for a look , quite a few trout in the portal outlet cruising about .

madfisher
    Participant
    quote greenfish:

Visited Tantangara during a huge squall and decide to go down below to check out the river and get out of the wind . The water has been turned off and it lookes as though ” high ” tide was about six hours before with plenty of wet mud banks but there were lots of fish in the holes and shallow runs , I hooked five ( one may have made the 6lb mark ) but didnt land one , the only thing I did manage to land was a duck that took off and run the line over its leg and the fly stayed stuck fast in his leg . Saturday evening the wind dropped to a gentle roar so we hit the lake again about 1 hour before dark for four fish , one nice brown and two average rainbows and one small brown . Sunday morning picked up another two trout up in the river arm . Be good if they opened the valve below the dam a turn or two to keep the fish going . Quite a few snakes about amongst the tussocks . Tantangara looks brilliant , a few trollers up in the river arm were pulling a few fish . Took my mate over to Providence Portal for a look , quite a few trout in the portal outlet cruising about .

Thoses Ducks sure give you a run for your money eh Ken. LOL. Did you hook the river fish on dries, or nymphs?

greenfish
    Participant

Hopper pattern Pete , worth a look if you get blown out next week , quite surprising , lots of grasshoppers about . Enjoy it , I am jealous that you have a week down there ! Yeah the duck went hard but I did land it litterally as it had taken flight , yella belly blacks ( Copperheads ) are very active , at the moment .

Humpy1
    Participant

Fished Thredbo and Moonbah last week. They had had over 100mm a few days before i arrived so i expected the rivers to be at good levels. The Thredbo is low and clear and has a few fish in it but you need to go looking for them and give them a careful presentation. There was very little surface activity at the time. I got a couple on hoppers but i sighted quite a few fish that i put hoppers over and they did that agitated around darting under the fly deciding to eat it or not before returning to station other flies got less intrest. Other fish would spook at the leader or the cast very quickly. The Moonbah was quite good for me, not a lot of fish but some of my best out of it. One over 50cm and another around 45cm and a few smaller but quality fish. One solid take i missed only to return a couple of days later to get broken off(at a bad knot) by a big fish in the same pool. To me its been hard fishing this year, the numbers are down but the fish i have got have been in good condition.

greenfish
    Participant

Ha , just had a look at the releases for Tantangara and now know why so many fish were Sunbaking , the water was turned off for four days ( while we were there ) there is now around 33 megs flowing down the river

Nigelpen
    Participant

As promised, my trip report
    Rivers low and warm, couldn’t get a take in the lake. A couple of small fish below the dam wall, but nothing worthwhile. Mate got an average brown in the thredbo ( we travelled far and wide, this weekend).
    Disappointing late season fishing, basicallynigel

swaddo
    Participant

common story this season unfortunately

madfisher
    Participant

Just back from Tantangra, got caught in the huge blow, with shower tent etc wrecked. Daytime fishing was hard, although I hooked a very large brown while lock stlying. Evening fishing was good with 4 to 8 fish caught most nights. Best brown was only around 48cm caught after dark on a very large black woolly.
    50mm of rain while we where their.
    Cheers Pete.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘northern snowy mountains’ is closed to new replies.