Sponsor Offers & Announcements NEW – Scott Centric Fly Rod

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

squish
    Participant

Scott Centric Fly Rod PRE-ORDER!

The Centric Fly Rod is the brand new Radian replacement from Scott, and will be arriving just in time for our Trout Season here in Victoria.

We are expecting stock around mid to late September, so have opened up pre-orders to enable you to be first in line to get your hands on one.

Stock availability will be very limited to begin with, and rod allocation will be on a first in/first out basis.

https://www.untamedfliesandtackle.com.au/store/p1488/Scott_Centric_Fly_Rod.html

Centric2

signature

reel-seat

Cheers

Darren Asquith – IFFF CCI
    Untamed Flies and Tackle
    http://www.untamedfliesandtackle.com.au

squish
    Participant

Here is a quick overview of the Centric from Jim Bartschi @ Scott:

squish
    Participant
    I had a quick cast of the new Scott Centric 9’ 5wt this week. The rod had been purchased by Ash @ Harfin so it seemed fitting to to take a photo with one of his reels on it 😎
    Some bullet points on my initial impressions of this rod:
    – very easy to cast for a fast action rod
    – little effort is required to generate high line speeds
    – extremely responsive and crisp
    – effortless loop control
    – loads well short, but excels at 30’ plus
    – cast all the 5wt lines I have spooled up very well
    – the 905 Centric (or 906, I haven’t quite decided which yet) is going to be the perfect Big Fish/Windy Day/Big Water partner to my 884 Scott G Series, and I will be able to chase Trout anywhere in Oz and NZ with those 2 rods.
    I’ll write a review once I’ve spent some time with more rods in the series, but I can tell you now – the Centric is going to dominate the fast action trout rod space very quickly. Feel free to give me a call if you would like to know more.
    I currently have a 9′ 4wt and 8’6″ 4wt in stock ready to go, the other models are still filtering through when available.

120130197_2793871160846163_2068400362725944794_o

Roge
    Participant

Did you end up with a 5 or 6?

squish
    Participant

Did you end up with a 5 or 6?

Rods are still limited, so I’ve not grabbed one for myself yet. I’m pretty sure I’ll end up with a 6.

Gerard
    Participant

extremely responsive and crisp

Hi Squish,

I’m genuinely interested in what it means for a rod to be ‘responsive and crisp’.

I understand stiffness, action and other basic properties such as length, weight (of rod), ERN, AA.

Is it related to frequency (and dampening) and what impact does it have on casting and fishing performance?

Cheers, GC

squish
    Participant

extremely responsive and crisp

Hi Squish,

I’m genuinely interested in what it means for a rod to be ‘responsive and crisp’.

I understand stiffness, action and other basic properties such as length, weight (of rod), ERN, AA.

Is it related to frequency (and dampening) and what impact does it have on casting and fishing performance?

Cheers, GC

It tracks incredibly straight, and it rebounds fast with no residual vibration. This gives the rod what I call excellent “responsiveness” to angler input (casting and mending), and a lovely “crisp” feel when the rod unloads (opposed to sloppy, noodly, dull etc).

Cheers, Darren.

Gerard
    Participant

thanks for that Darren.

I’d be interested to understand how far rods have progressed over the years in comparison.

(While any rod will catch a fish), its often put out there that a cheap rod is 90% as good as an expensive rod.

This is something  I strongly doubt, particularly given the ongoing improvements in prepeg & rod design technology driven from related industries such as aviation and energy.

Other than Scott, which other rod makers are leading the charge?

squish
    Participant

thanks for that Darren.

I’d be interested to understand how far rods have progressed over the years in comparison.

(While any rod will catch a fish), its often put out there that a cheap rod is 90% as good as an expensive rod.

This is something I strongly doubt, particularly given the ongoing improvements in prepeg & rod design technology driven from related industries such as aviation and energy.

Other than Scott, which other rod makers are leading the charge?

I call BS on the 90% thing. The people claiming this usually have no experience with the premium rods, and they are usually trying to justify their own rod choice, and more often budget.  Feel free to fish whatever rod you choose, but don’t make claims you don’t have the experience to back up. The premium rods are just better on every level – period.

There is no shame in not being able to afford premium rod, just grab yourself a good rod like an Innovator HLS2 for under $400 and go fishing and enjoy it, just don’t tell me it’s as good as a premium rod. End of rant… 😂

I always suggest the simple rule of buying the best rod you can afford without taking food off your family’s table, and you really do get what you pay for.

I enjoy taking customers to the park with a bunch of rods so they can see/feel the differences for themselves. It’s an enjoyable hour or two at work for me, and customers can more easily evaluate each rod they cast.

Scott, Winston and Orvis are my top three brands in terms of both performance and sales volume.

Anyone reading this is welcome to make an appointment with me in Benalla for a cast, I’m always happy to grab a bunch of rods (and lines) and head down to the local park for a cast.

Cheers, Darren.

Chief
    Participant

Spot on Darren, no connections here but the most expensive rod I ever owned was due to getting something less expensive that I didn’t like first.  Trying a bunch of rods and lines is the best if you can, even if it means an overnighter.  Am I allowed to go to Benalla yet 🤔

wyldone
    Participant

Well said Darren.

My time on the water is valuable to me, so a rod that I absolutely love using, is just part of a great day on the water.

If the budget permits, why anyone would spend countless hours on the water with an “OK” rod as opposed and “Awesome” rod is beyond me.

wardy
    Participant

Anyone reading this is welcome to make an appointment with me in Benalla for a cast, I’m always happy to grab a bunch of rods (and lines) and head down to the local park for a cast.

Cheers, Darren.

New Years resolution for me: I will travel to Benalla a spend a few hrs with Squish comparing Salty #6’s for my next purchase. I had hoped to do that this year, but yeah well that probably doesn’t need explanation as to why that didn’t happen.

Re the “Crispness” defininition, I agree with that description. I’d also add lightness/swing weight to that. A heavier rod never really feels ‘crisp’ to me. Which is a hang over when I used to spin fish a lot, the crisp spin rods were never heavy in the hand IMO.

dynaflow
    Participant

Squish said: “I call BS on the 90% thing. The people claiming this usually have no experience with the premium rods, and they are usually trying to justify their own rod choice, and more often budget.  Feel free to fish whatever rod you choose, but don’t make claims you don’t have the experience to back up. The premium rods are just better on every level – period.”

Agree 100% mate.You only go around once,and you have to include Sage in the vanguard of fly rod development.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.