Tackle Talk New 4wt help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mountainman
    Participant

Looking at buying a new dry fly 4wt for river use in Tassie’s incessant wind. I have narrowed down the choices to 1) Douglas Sky G 8’6″ 4 wt ; 2) G Loomis NRX + 9′ 4wt ; & 3) G Loomis Asquith 9′ 4wt. If anyone owns any off these rods or has test cast them and can provide feedback it would be much appreciated, particularly in regards to how they handle the wind. I believe the Asquith may be the answer but unsure how it fishes in close, reviews suggest it likes some line out to work?

DrGraham
    Participant

If you live in Tasmania, specifically in or near Launceston, or have a chance to visit Launceston, then go see Mike or Allan at essential Flyisher.  They have Douglas Sky and Loomis rods and I’m sure they’ll let you have a flick of the rods.  You can then work out which rods best suits you.  You have plenty of time.  It’s months before the next dry fly season.

mountainman
    Participant

Thanks DrGraham but I live in Sydney and was after feedback from owners on how they throw a line on the water. Also what line they use in conjunction with their rod of choice. Cheers.

DrGraham
    Participant

Yes, a wee bit difficult organising a test drive from Sydney.   Might still be worth giving the lads at essential Flyfisher a call, especially as they are the only dealer for Douglas in Oz.  They are very helpful with their advice.  As for 4 wt advice, I can’t help you as I use a NZ Composite Development I built for streams like the Tyenna and St Pats.  I do have a Douglas 5 and a 6 for my lake fishing.  The 6 is supposedly my heavy weather rod.  The 5 is my first choice and I’ll use it for dry, wet or nymph. It handles the Tassie winds just as well as the 6.   If I ever break the 4 wt, I won’t hesitate to replace it with a Douglas.  I’ve tried a few lines on them, and they all handled the same.  I settled on Rio lines, In Touch Gold, In Touch Trout LT, Sub-Surface, simply for the price and I like the feel of the line.

Great Lake
    Participant

Depends on what type of fishing you do.

I have a Douglas Upstream Plus 8’6″ 4 wt – really sweet polaroiding rod that I use in the Tassie highlands. No problem casting into the wind sufficient distance for polaroiding.

mountainman
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I’m buying a Douglas Sky 8’6″ 4 wt sight unseen. A bit of a gamble without casting one but sounds like it will be enough rod if a Douglas Upstream plus can cope with the wind – the Sky G has a similar action I believe.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.