Flies & Fly Tying Miss Knobby X Hopper

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

I would say no.

providing it’s the same profile as an existing.

and don’t forget the ‘twitch’ trigger. if there’s time…

Kiwioz
    Participant

Nice tie LTF! Looks fine to me. Well done leaving the eye clear – often tricky with deer hair wings and head.

Cheers

Kiwioz

micmac3701
    Participant

Land it with authority, fish it with confidence and let the fish decide.

learn2fly
    Participant

IMG_0122

I tied up a batch of the shorter haired version as well. Will see what the fish prefer come summer.

I’d been copying these previously:

Miss Knobby X

learn2fly
    Participant

Deleted, double post.

Moderator 3
    Keymaster

Posts restored from Spam. Usually get sent to Spam if you make too many edits or (I suspect at this stage) edit older posts.

micmac3701
    Participant

What thread are you using? The original Geof showed me uses mono but I have also used kevlar thread, main thing is it needs to be strong.

Don’t be afraid to really stack the hair on as you can cut back the rear and front of the head. That’s why you’ll need strong thread to crank it down.

learn2fly
    Participant

I’m using mono and cinching it down tighter with each consecutive wrap until the deer hair looks like it’s about as flared up as it will get.

I think I’ve been a bit overzealous with the head trimming, need to work on that.

mitch aka 2 fish
    Participant

just remember if you tighten your latter wraps you will leave your initial wraps looser (especially if you’re stacking hair; you will ‘burst and squirt out’ your interior layers perhaps).

try and stay consistent with the pressure. and always work from the back to the front in side by side, flat wraps… once.

this is more for good practice than anything else. hopper flies get absolutely mangled and you’re very lucky to get another go.

cheers,

shawn

paul.barnes
    Participant

Hey mate,

The hopper pattern looks pretty good and will definitely catch fish. I usually make the deer hair a big longer (until the end of the hook bend and this is where I usually make the pheasant feather end (just how I tie it). Doubt it will have too much difference.  In regards to the thread, Geof does recommend a stretching mono type thread, however, I have since changed to a 6/0 yellow thread. Just blends in better with the chenille.   Again, doubt it has much affect but its how I like to tie them.  I also mix the colours with deer hair and include yellow and green, along with the natural.  Just adds extra colour.   I also use orange pheasant neck tippets on the side of the fly. A lot of hoppers have orange legs and I seem to think this works well.  This is a killer pattern on the Rubi and Goulburn and I usually turn out about 20-30 of them each season (usually tied at the end of winter when I start thinking about the up coming summer).

I might be tying some this weekend if lockdown continues.  Happy to send a few photos.  However, your fly certainly looks good.

Regards

Paul

learn2fly
    Participant

Thanks for the tips gents, especially handy advice regarding thread tension on deer hair Mitch.

Do you blend the deer hair together Paul? I’ve been putting down a layer of yellow and then dropping a layer of natural on top, hand stacking and then tying it on.

paul.barnes
    Participant

I tied up a couple of Miss Knobby X’s over the weekend.  I’ve attached some photos showing how I usually tie them up.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.