Flies & Fly Tying Miss Knobby X Hopper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

learn2fly
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m struggling to find a pattern for this fly online anywhere.
    I think I can work it out enough to do a passble version but there’s an underwing that looks like it might be pheasant tippets?

Any tips will be much appreciated!

micmac3701
    Participant

IMG_4620-2-1
    IMG_4621-1

chenille body

stacked (not spun) deer hair

pheasant church window

Its a snowy hopper with rubber legs which Geoff Hall tied.

micmac3701
    Participant

p.s. Geoff would laugh at my petite versions, his were as big as budgies and every fish in the pool knew when they landed.

paul.barnes
    Participant

Hi Mate

I tie heaps of these hoppers each year.  I copied them from the GVFF website many years ago and even mentioned them in my article back in issue #101.  Happy to show you how to tie them if you are interested.  I use a tiemco 5352 hook (10), yellow chenille for the body, a mixture of yellow, green and brown/tan deer hair.  There are pheasant tippets on the sides as legs, a pheasant feather from the cape/neck as the underwing and then you have white and black rubber legs. Using an occy strap and using a texta is a cheap and effective method as mentioned by Geoff.  Let me know if you want me to add some steps or to have a link up to show you.

Regards,  Paul

Tocs
    Participant

One of best hopper patterns I’d say.

learn2fly
    Participant

Thanks for the replies gents!

I’ll have a go based on the information provided and post results.

It was the pheasant feather underwing that had me baffled, other photos I’ve seen of this fly don’t show it as clearly.

Kiwioz
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

learn2fly
    Participant

learn2fly
    Participant

Just want to add that I had recently re-read your article Paul and that’s what sparked my interest in tying this fly. Can’t have too many hopper patterns!

paul.barnes
    Participant

Thanks Mate.  Ill  tie some flies this weekend. If you want some photos of the Knobby X, just let me know and I can show you a few steps.  This season was pretty quite on the Rubicon in terms of hoppers but the willow grubs made up for it.  I’m not much of an expert in front of the camera, but I wore a G-pro for a few sessions this season.  The second fish on the video below was on the Miss Knobby Hopper. It was a lovely fish in that water.  BTW, the Commonwealth is a real go to as well.

Moderator 3
    Keymaster

Learn2fly, only you can see as thread creator can see private responses in this thread (apart from admins) so Kiwioz (not Paul as previously posted 🥴) cannot see your reply with your email address.

learn2fly
    Participant

Nice video Paul, just the thing for a cold winter night in Melbourne.

I’ve never seen so many snakes in any other location than I’ve seen on that section of the Rubicon in summer.

The commonwealth hopper has been my go to as well, simple to tie and fish love it.

learn2fly
    Participant

Oh ok, Kiwi do you mind leaving your email in a private response so that I can then email you?

There is no way for me to reply privately to give you my email address unfortunately.

Kiwioz
    Participant

learn2fly
    Participant

IMG_0118

It took way longer than expected to get hold of some church window feathers.

Should the deer hair be way shorter?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.