Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

DrGraham
    Participant

I’ve tied similar with white and orange foam.  I don’t think the colour matters much to the trout, but more important for us to see the fly.  I did some experiments today to figure out why the Peter Appleby in the video applied floatant when foam should have better floatation.  I tied some top hat flies using Wapsi cylinder foam.  The foam is a lot denser than I expected.  The flies sunk soon enough once wet.  If I applied a gel floatant, then the top of the foam post stayed right in the surface film.  However, when I used foam from a footballer’s shin pad, the same foam I’ve used for decades to tie Sloane’s Plastic Gum Beetle, the fly sat perfectly in the surface film without the need for floatant.  Test the foam before tying.  Not all foams are the same.

DJ
    Participant

Jindy /Euc – holiday fisher. Most success over the years Buschy’s easy midge, Fiery brown beetle & scruffy fiery brown nymph. Fish as per  instructions. Buschy always encouraged me to cast  the flies to go in  the fish’s mouth – a comment on my casting. He was mostly 2 to my one.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.