Flies & Fly Tying Messy dun

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jimma333
    Participant

Gday folks

ive just recently re watched some of the great tying videos from the master Muzz Wilson on you tube .

Ive been tying his fuzzle buggers, wee creek hoppers  and BMS style flies for years but I’m keen to have a go at these “messy” flies. The parachute style and caddis flies are there, but I can’t find any info or even a picture anywhere of this “messy dun” ?

I understand it is a single attachment point similar to the wee creek which I think is very interesting.  If anyone can help with a recipe or even a few pics I can probably work out the rest.

Cheers Jim

freestone
    Participant

The Messy Dun features in Muz’s fly tying DVD

Peter Watson
    Participant

Hi Jim, yes the Messy Dun is tied with a single attachment point like the Wee Creek. Will do my best to explain. The body is built first, place a needle in your vice and for the tail attach a few moose mane fibres about an inch from the end of the needle, just a few wraps will do. Leave the loose end of your thread longish.Then cut a long thin triangle of 1mm foam, exact dimensions will take a little trial and error. Attach the tip of the triangle at your tie in point and wrap down and back with criss cross wraps forming a sort of segmented body. Wrapped over the foam, moose mane bases and your loose threads end. In theory the foam should wrap around the needle. Finish with the thread at the base of the body. A half hitch or two to secure hen trim the thread and carefully slip the body off the needle. This is one of Muzz’s early Messy duns. You can see the body and thread wraps.

Place your hook in the vice and tie in the body at about the half way point of the shank, like a wee creek. The body will be longer than you need so the excess at the front can be trimmed once it’s tied in. Add a couple of wings. This early Messy dun has foam wings, but Muz moved to material wings which were less air resistant. I use Tiewell Superwing in mottled brown, but any of the web type materials would be fine. Using wing cutters produces a neater look to the fly if you have them

Then use a pre made CDC hackle, or form a thread loop and add some cdc fibres and spin up your own, either way works. Then wrap the cdc around under the front and back of the body several times. Tie off and whip finish then trim the hackle flat under the hook shank just to help it sit better on the water.

Hope that helps and you can nut it out 🙂

Jimma333
    Participant

Ahhh fantastic

thanks so much for that reply. Great looking little fly ! I can see all sorts of creations getting thought up using that same style pattern. Much appreciated for the info 👍

cheers jim

Peter Watson
    Participant

👍👍 No probs, glad it helped

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.