Tackle Talk Matching reels to rods

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

craigtownsend
    Participant

I’m sure I’m hardly the first person ([email protected]) to think about this, but what are the chances of matching a bigger reel with a smaller rod? I’ve got an Orvis Hydros IV for the salt and I was wondering if I could get another spool for it and throw it on my 6 wt Radian…it’s a size up from the recommended Hydros III which is just over an ounce lighter. Just wondering if anyone else has ventured outside the manufacturer’s recommendations for this sort of thing?

Kym
    Participant

You’re overthinking this. It’s only 30 grams. About the weight of a fly line. So a III with the line wound on the spool will weigh about the same as a IV with the line stripped off.

Be a rebel. Say to yourself ‘I’m an independent, free thinking man and I refuse to live my life, shackled by manufacturer’s recommendations’.

If it feels okay to you on the Radian, then go for it.  If not, buy that new reel.

Phoenix Bird
    Participant

Craig use your Hydros IV.It should be fine on the 6 wt Radian.On the whole  the push towards lighter reels is often   driven by marketing.In balancing a rod with a reel,  its essential to take the Swing Weight into consideration.  Give it a go with the  larger reel,its the best way to settle the matter.

ANDREW
    Participant

I have  6wt 9ft Radian and I just put on my reels on scale just to prove my point. All reels, 5 of them, which I use on my Radian weigh between 163 to 185 grams including 6wt fly lines ( floating, inter and sinking).

I would not go any heavier (personal opinion). I tried.

You Hydros iv weighs already 187g  plus flyline plus backing, total 220-225g. Rod will feel botom heavy even if it is just 30-40g more. You will kill that Radian feel, seriously.

Instead of buying another spool which is not going to be that cheap get a Lamson Liquid or another reasonabelly priced good quality reel.

craigtownsend
    Participant

I road-tested the Radian today and, I must admit, the big Hydros was pretty heavy. I then took the old girl out on Devilbend tonight matched up to the Liquid Lanson I bought for it in the first place…and I realised that’s why I bought the reel for it in the first place. It does the job just fine and I think I now have a better appreciation of a balanced outfit. Thanks for the replies – food for thought 🙂

Chris Beech
    Participant

More importantly, how was Devilbend? Haven’t been there for months thanks to lockdown #6

craigtownsend
    Participant

Devilbend is looking good. As you’d expect, the water level is up to the grass and, although it doesn’t seem to fluctuate too much throughout the year, there just seems to be a little more depth in the channels between the weed and the bank and a little more water over the weed beds. I’ve even left the kayak at home to enjoy quietly prospecting the shore. Late the last couple of days there were several trout all moving within easy casting distance of the bank on the eastern shore, I presumed they were smelting. The Tom Jones was hit a couple of times but no hook up…I landed an EP last night, again on the Tom Jones, and it was a little bigger than the ones I usually catch (maybe they’ve all been in a good paddock!). Anyway, it’s looking good up there. I’m really lucky it falls into my 10 km radius. It’s certainly scratching an itch at the moment 🙂

Chris Beech
    Participant

Now I feel homesick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.